The Seance

Hey guys! So this is longer than my usual chapters for this book. I felt like I needed to fit all of this stuff into one chapter. Anways, I hope you enjoy it! - Spathi

I march my uncle outside of the house, and tell him to wait a second. Then, I run and get a shovel, a ton of random food, and as much pumpkin juice as I can carry. I also stop by my room and write a paragraph on a piece of parchment in Ancient Greek. I return outside and dump the stuff on the ground.

"Now, I need you to give me a list of all the people whose deaths you feel personally responsible and guilty for." I say bluntly. Severus looks back at me incredulously.

"What?" he exclaims in an incredulous tone.

"People you knew personally who died. People whom you had unfinished business with, or to whom you want to say something particular." I clarify. Severus clearly thinks I've gone mad, but he agrees anyways. He takes a fortifying breath, which he blows out in a manner that tells me that he's nervous.

"T- Tobias Snape. Eileen Prince. James Potter. Lily Ev- Potter. Sirius Black. Albus Dumbledore." he replies. I nod, thinking over the list. I can understand his parents, although I don't know anything about them. I can also understand Dumbledore. However, Sirius, James, and Lily confuse me. I don't know anything about Sirius Black, but James and Lily are clearly the parents of Harry Potter. So what connection does he have to the Potters? And what connection does he have to Black?

I shake my head lightly, clearing my head of those thoughts. Now is not the time to be distracted. I pick up the shovel and start digging.

After I've made a deep hole, I start pouring the food and drinks in. Severus still looks confused, but he helps me do it. I take out the piece of paper with the paragraph I wrote, and add another paragraph below it. Then, I turn to him, handing the parchment to him.

"Focus hard, and read this out loud in a clear, strong voice." I say.

"This may have escaped your notice, but this is written in a language I do not recognize." he points out.

"Just try. It should work." I reply. Severus glances at me dubiously, but does as I say, returning his gaze to the parchment.

"Let the dead taste again. Let them rise and take this offering. Let them remember. I, Severus Snape, son of the Silent One, summon the souls of the deceased. I urge them to accept these offerings, and reclaim for a short time the lives they have lost. Let them come from beyond the Veil and unlock their pasts. Let them walk the earth for a short time. Breathe life into their souls once again, so that they may grant me counsel." he chanted.

The mix of pumpkin juice and random food began to bubble and froth. It began to expand, until the entire pit was filled with the liquid. Mist seeped out of the ground, and began forming into shapes. I drew my blade, the dark alloy of Stygian iron and silver glinting in the moonlight. 

"I call six souls in particular. I command the six souls I seek to come forth and drink. Tobias Snape, Eileen Prince, James Potter, Lily Potter, Sirius Black, and Albus Dumbledore, in order of your deaths, appear to me now." my uncle continues. He hasn't yet taken his eyes off of the parchment, instead puzzling over the words that he can read out loud but not quite understand.

The fog has now condensed into six figures, which walk towards the pit slowly. Behind them, many more figures cluster.

"Only the six called may drink." I yell in Ancient Greek, pointing my dagger at the spirits. The figures in the background hiss and retreat. I watch the six drink, nudging my uncle. He finally looks up from the parchment, and almost drops it in surprise. I don't blame him.