Chapter 1

“Watch yourself out there; it’s pretty late to be walking around on your own,” It was always the same warning. Every time I went to Dale’s house he’d tell me to be careful and every time I brushed it off like it was nothing.

“I’m not going that far, and it’s not that late!” I said, making my way down the stairs to the front door. We said our good byes as I stepped into the cold night, pulling my coat in a little closer around my body to protect myself from the wind.

I started towards the main street, taking my regular route; west on Ontario St. to Agricola St., South down Agricola. As I crossed Agricola I had to leap out of the way of a speeding red sedan, “Get out of the fucking street!” The man driving yelled out his window as he honked his horn a couple times, I flipped him off with my left hand, thumbing the knife in my pocket with my right. It wasn’t my idea to have it but it did make me feel a little more brazen. Just hold on to it, just in case Was what my boyfriend said when I tried to turn down his gift.

Jasper never gave me anything, so imagine my surprise when he came home with a small, brightly wrapped box with my name on it! God, I was thrilled, but after opening it I was sadly disappointed.

“What is it?” I asked as I picked up the funny shaped thing. It looked like it was made of bone, sanded down to be smooth to the touch. He took it from my hand, swung a four inch blade out of the side of it and locked it into place. “A pocket knife?”

“Yeah, it’s to keep you safe. This is a dangerous neighbourhood,” He said to me, smiling as if he’d presented me with the Holy Grail or something.

“Thank you very much.” I said, holding the knife with my finger tips, trying hard not to show the look of disgust on my face. “But I don’t want this.”

“Wes, I’m not always with you, I get worried about you walking around out there alone.” He gestured to the world outside our window as if it were downtown Calcutta.

“I’m fine, trust me. I’ve never been bothered out there before,” I said, imitating his dramatic

“Well there’s a first time for everything,” He said, stepping forward to close the blade for me and push it into my pocket. “Just hold on to it, just in case.”

So I did. I’ve carried it around since he gave it to me and surprise, surprise I’ve never needed to use it. He was always so nervous and paranoid, but I had to admit that his urge to protect me kind of turned me on a bit. Now the knife in my pocket just reminded me of him, whenever I ran my thumb along the smooth handle I was reminded of him, of how he worried about me. I loved to be loved and he showed me I was by trying to keep me safe.

I hesitated for a moment before turning onto the side street I normally took to get home. I looked over to the site where they were about to break ground for a new condo building. They were popping up all over the North End lately, and I usually never thought twice about them but this one drew my attention.

I looked further south down Agricola towards North St.; I considered taking that route instead. It would take a little longer though, and it was cold out so I glanced back towards the empty lot. There was a huge rectangular sign blocking off most of the lot from view, it had the name of the real estate company developing the building and a brightly coloured artist’s rendering of what the condos will look like. The sign also had a number to call for inquiries and a photo of the agent you’d speak with. Sprawled across the agent’s face in black spray paint, however, was the word “Gentrifuckation.” I chuckled at the graffiti and decided to take the short cut after all, still a little weary of the empty lot.

I pulled my coat even closer around my body and looked down towards the street. As I quickly passed the sign I glanced out of the corner of my eye and noticed a shadow in the corner of the lot furthest from the street. I tried not to pay attention and again held on to the knife in my pocket. “Hey!” I heard a deep voice yell from behind me as I came to the edge of the lot; I pretended not to listen and kept walking. “Hey!” The voice yelled again, a little louder and a little angrier. I began taking wider steps as I walked, gripping the knife a little tighter.