Fourteen

I sighed, sitting with a bump in the wampus's enclosure. Alfajo, the black, patherlike beast, prowled over to me and spoke, his voice light and lilting. Hazel, you are frustrated. It wasn't a question.

Alfajo settled beside me, and I leaned back into his muscled shoulders. The large cat shifted and curled around me.

A familiar squeak sounded. Sorry to bother, Alfajo, but the role of annoying talking animal is taken.

Pickett, you aren't annoying. I can share. I just... what am I supposed to do? Where are we supposed to go? We have Wisely, and Catherine, and Peggy-Anne, but really- what are we doing?

Alfajo's rumble was careful. I think you should set them loose soon. They have brought you as far as London, and, as far as for where you are supposed to go, well. You've arrived!

You're saving lives, Pickett insisted. You didn't see Newt after he... he failed to save Credence. He was tearing himself up that he had failed a second time. Hazel, you're gonna do this! You are going to convince the obscurials to leave everyone alone!

And then what? I asked. Expect them to just die off peacefully, knowing full well that they'll reincarnate as the very thing they fight against? Is that really what we're doing- dooming them?

I stood, brushing wampus hair off of my coat, and strode to the obscurial's enclosure. All right, you three. Here is where my dilemma is at large- we can't have you killing people, but I also don't want to have to see you all reincarnate knowing you hate it. Is there anything else to be done?

Wisely hesitated. Well... you see, if we take a host, and stay dormant until the host dies, then we die with them. But none of us have wanted to die yet.

I nodded, slowly, then harder. Yes- I- I can work with that! Thank you, Wisely!

I ran out of the enclosure, up to the shed, and out of the case.  I slipped into Newt and I's cabin slash cupboard. "Okay. I've got an idea."

Newt, who was drawing in a small book, looked up. "Let's hear it, then," he said brightly. I sat next to him on the bed.

"I just spoke with Wisely. He says if an obscurial takes a host but stays dormant until the host dies of natural causes, then the obscurial dies too. So I was thinking, if we can get to this assembly, we can ask-"

"For an entire species to die?" Newt asked, fretful.

I bit the inside of my cheek. "It's not the optimal solution," I admitted. "But would you rather that magical children and the wizarding community as a whole continue to suffer because we weren't man enough to do this?"

Newt sighed. He chewed in worry at his bottom lip, then darted his eyes at and away from me. "I suppose," he admitted, but I could tell it would haunt him.

I knew it was going to take a while for the mood to brighten, but I was getting antsy. "Shouldn't we just Apparate the rest of the way?" I queried.

Newt shook his head, tracing along another stroke in his book. "No- I didn't want to, the first time. It's not terribly beneficial towards my creatures. Trust me, this is better."

"Oh."

I began to lower myself back into the case. "I'd better go. The Demiguise wants to talk to me," I lied, shutting the case over my head.

I didn't like the idea of killing an entire species, but really, they weren't animals in the proper sense of the word. They were humans, twisted human spirits, that were purposely harming other human spirits! They were... they were murderers.

I wandered through the enclosures until I found the dozing Erumpent, Samalia. She blinked at me, one large eye staring unwaveringly at me. What want, Hazel-friend?

"Just looking for a place to think," I said, too tired to keep my voice to myself.  Samalia shifted, and the ground trembled. Rest here if want.

"Thanks," I said, stepping lightly over a small stream as I joined the Erumpent in her savannah-esque habitat. I climbed a small tree whose branches dangled over Samalia, and I rested in the crook. After climbing, my head began to throb a small bit, but it was no matter.

I knew what I needed to do, but I didn't want to do it.

Right up, sorry for the short chapter.

And now for my fangirling session: AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

What do *squints at hand* over 600 Wattpadians see in this book? I mean, I'm thrilled, don't get me wrong, but WOW!

At the same time, you guys have been really patient, but I feel like I need to say that the words are coming slower for me, so please just hold onto your pointed Hogwarts-dress-approved hats, and I promised, I WILL get this finished!

Hugs and kisses,

-Xandra

*exits with Erumpent mating dance*