"i don't even fucking remember him." simon admits, slouching in his seat.

"your drinking is a real big problem, you know?" the older boy asks, giving simon a sideway glance.

"i'm aware, dad." he rolls his eyes.

"wouldn't have to be your dad if you decided to fucking grow up." the older shoots back, parking in a spot once they reach their destination.

simon opens the car door and is about to move out when josh holds his arm and yanks him back inside, causing him to slam against the car seat aggressively.

"what the fuck—"

"don't fuck this up more than it already is." and just like that josh flicks his forehead before leaving the car while simon struggles to keep up.

the restaurant is empty for once, odd for the both of them since they were pretty successful and received customers at a regular rate. simon wonders how the news got around that he had lost that building because of a football team.

when both of them enter, they are greeted by the sight of a dark skinned boy leaning against the wooden wall, body clad in grey sweats and a shirt that says tank in bold white letters. simon recognizes the boy as deji.

"oh hey." deji speaks once he notices the two boys making their way through the empty restaurant.

"hi, i'm josh and you already know simon." the older of the two speaks up while simon stands back remembering josh's word to not fuck this more up.

"of course i remember him. did you guys come here to take a final look at my restaurant?" the latter's voice is teasing and simon bites on his tongue knowing there was no way that boy would agree to give it up.

"the thing is, you took advantage of this boy here." josh seems to be in no mood for fucking around as he crosses his arms and talks to the other boy.

"oh? is that what you want to call it? because if i recall, simon here himself bet to give this place up." deji fires back, now straightening himself and stretching.

"simon here does not know what he does half the time, so i think you should reconsider the bet and—"

"listen, a bet is a bet. there's no going back." the boy makes his way past josh and is about to walk past simon as well just before he grabs his arm.

"deji please, we'll do anything other than this." simon pleads, his eyes watering due to his his frustration getting the best of him.

"i—" deji hesitates, something flashing in his eyes before he shakes his head. "you created this mess yourself, simon." just like that he brushes past the crying boy before exiting the restaurant.

"well done simon, now we are unemployed and soon to be broke." josh mutters, his tone frustrated. "good fucking job."

"i'm–" simon starts but is interrupted by a sob emitting from the back of his throat.

"great, now you're gonna cry your way out of this." the older boy rolls his eyes before shoving the latter away and moving past him to leave. "find yourself a ride home, i need to leave before i end up doing something i will regret."