I

Carrie sat legs crossed politely at the ankles next to her family in their very own designated pew.
Sunday's were for church. This is how it's been ever since Carrie could remember and she didn't see it changing any time soon.

The Stanton family was a well ordered sanctified born-again family with "no faults" as far as the town was concerned.

Carrie however, had her own secrets. She was dating someone. Yes Carrie Stanton was dating a boy. A non-Christian boy at that.

His name was Devon. Devon Braxton. He was tall, dark and handsome a perfect fit to her tall, fair and beautiful self. They had been dating for a year today and Carrie couldn't wait to celebrate with him.

Her mother nudged her and motioned for her to close her eyes as she realized her father was praying. She quickly shut her eyelids and tried focusing on the Lord.

After a good five minutes had passed, Carrie peeked to see if anyone had opened their eyes and still everyone's eyes were closed. Her father went on and on about how he wanted God to cover and protect the church.

Carrie felt her arms become tense like they usually did. Her father would go and jump a bridge for this church, but the minute that his family was in danger, he knew nothing, saw nothing, and did not pay a single mind.

"Amen."

Finally! Carrie jumped from her seat ready to sing the last song and get out the claustrophobic place they called a sanctuary.

'Oh how he loves us! How he loves us oh!'

"Thank you all for joining us today. Enjoy the rest of your week and have a blessed day."

Her father walked off the stage and to his office like he did every week and our family would walk out first to the lobby while the rest of the congregation would follow. It was embarrassing really. What gave us the right to be better than anyone else just because we're the pastors family?

We all made our way to my dads office and just as we walked through the large double doors, I decided to make my move.

"Mom! I just remembered that a few girls from youth and I are meeting up for coffee. May I leave?"

"Of course sweetheart! We'll see you at home."

I received glares from my younger siblings but I didn't care. There was no way that I was going to sit on a hard leather couch while my father took business and prayer calls for the next two hours.

My phone rang as I made my way through the parking lot and I smiled wide as I picture of Devon popped up.

"Hey babe!" I answered beyond ecstatic.

"Hey! Are we still on for lunch?"

"Yep! I'm heading home now. Pick me up at 2?"

"I'll be there."

I smiled at the excitement in his voice. He was so charming. "I love you."

"Love you more. Bye."

We hung up and I skipped the rest of the way to my car.

I was off to meet my man.

***

Thoughts??

Id love to hear from you! Leave a comment below!