Chapter 5

6:34 PM
July 31, 2019

I decided to go to the store late to avoid the heat of the sun. As I pull out of the garage the bright sunlight surprises me. Shielding my eyes I turn onto the one way street infront of the house and start to make my way to the grocery store.

As I drive my parents old car through the streets of Des Moines I notice just how much damage the Sun has done in a little over 2 weeks. Already the sun is a couple inches wider and a lot brighter than it was before. The grass around people's houses has started to die and grow an off yellow color. There even seems to be a visible ripple of heat on the horizon. The days have also gotten longer and it is still bright out. If these kinds of changes keep up then humanity might not last another few months. The thought sends a chill down my spine.

I arrive at the store just before it closes. When I exit the car a shockingly strong humidity greets me.   Clutching the shopping list my mother gave me I run into the store to avoid the heat. Although when I go to look around I notice that not only are all of the employees gone but most of the food is missing as well. In fact it almost looks as if a tornado flung everything of the shelf.

* * *

9:07 PM
July 31, 2019

It took me awhile to find everything I needed. As I roll my cart out of the store I notice someone standing next to the driver's side door of the car. I walk up to him as he gets the door unlocked.

"Um, excuse me sir but I think you have the wrong car." He seems to freeze at the sound of my voice contemplating what to do next.

He turns to me and smiles manically. "I don't think so." In a flash he he punches me in the gut and hits me across the face for good measure. He then gets in the car and drives away as I blackout on the pavement.