The Mobster Little Girl

Start from the beginning

“River, Dragon, Phoenix STOP IT NOW!” Daddy’s voice boomed through the kitchen. We all turned around, all laughing. “Look at you guys. Covered in food, its disgraceful, I have guest today. This is how you choose to behave? It is unacceptable!”

“Daddy,” I said “your guest is Tony and Rob, they’ve seen the pool room covered in flower. And we can be cleaned up by the time they get here; also Lucy is a great maid, the kitchen well be clean too.”

“I suppose your right, all of you throw out those clothes and clean up. Now.”

“Yes sir” We all walked up stairs together, Dragon on my left and River on my right, they were two years older than me, they were seventeen.

“Nice touch with the water and sugar” River started as we came to a stop in the middle of the second floor. “Its hardened now. Very cleaver Trivial Pursuit”

            I smiled and nodded “Thank you Tweedle-Dee, these eggs well take a while to get out of my hair.” Dragon looked at me waiting to be praised “nice touch with the jam, caught me off guard there Tweedle-Dumb.”

            Dragon smiled very proud “Very smart idea with the butter, you shouldn’t be complaining abut the eggs. I have butter in my hair this shit is like water repellent.” We all laughed, Dragon turned to go upstairs to the third floor bathrooms as River went to one of the second floor ones. I stood there for a second and thought to my self ‘I must get a little better revenge on them for making me drink pond water.’ I turned on the heel and headed to the bathroom for my shower.

            Standing in the shower with the hot water beating on my skin, I started to work the egg out of my hair. What could I do to get them back they got me pretty good. This was a job for Charlene, my best friend. She was Latina with brown hair and green eyes.

            I hopped out of the shower and dried put my hair and realized I had forgot to grab new clothes. ‘well shit’ I thought my self. I snatched my towel wrapped it around my self and started for my room. I was about three steps away when I heard Dragon’s voice “Phoenix! Put some god damn clothes on!” I slowly turned around, he was standing there with no shirt on. “what if someone else was here, and you were running around naked?”

“Dragon! Put a shirt on!” I said in the same tone. “what if someone else was here?” I turned and headed to my room to get a new outfit on. I put on a pair of black leggings, a grey sweater and a pair of uggs. I heard the door bell ring down stairs. I started to run to my bed room door to greet Tony and Rob. I pulled my door and ran straight into my mom. She glared down on me as if a was some homeless person who was grabbing her on the street; I opened and closed my mouth a few times before saying “S-S-S-Sorry mom”

“mmmhm” she pursed her lips, she barley said a word to me ever. “stay out of my way… go away now.” I wasn’t her biological daughter and I knew that but she raised me. And for some reason when I turned eleven she started hating me. Glaring at me and just not talking to me most of the time. She still fussed over River and Dragon, who weren’t her real kids either. But she continued to love them. Our real mother left daddy when I was born. But mom, she scared me it was like she was only one word away from hitting me “GO!” She screeched, and that was the one word. Her hand was raised then it hit me across the face, really hard. I ran away fast as I could. I started walking when I was half way down the stairs. My face stung so much.

            I saw Tony and rob in the living room with daddy. They were daddy’s right hand men, and best friends. I walked into the living room and smiled. There was another guy who I didn’t know. He looked my age and was Italian. He had black hair that was down to his chin and a face that he could be a model with. He had this intense stare that really caught me. This stranger was a looker all right. Rob stood up and said hello, he was short and fat. With beady black eyes, he was all about business. Tony hoped up after, he was the opposite, tall and skinny, and a complete joker. “Alas” he said in some fake British accent “Phoenix my dear you look even prettier than the last time I saw you” He put one hand over his heart.

“Tony,” I said back “you saw me like two days ago.”

He smiled shrugged and sat back down. I took a place next to daddy. I leaned over and whispered “Who’s that kid in the corner”

“Adalberto he is Tony’s nephew. I would like you to make him convertible, we well be seeing him more often. He is living with Tony.”

“Why is he living with Tony?” I whispered to Daddy

“Parents had issues…. With being quiet.” Daddy said back, he rarely kept the business hidden from us. I had being hearing Daddy talking about traitors all my life.

“Rats?” Daddy gave a slight nod. “Rats deserve to go, everyone knows that.”

Daddy gave a slight smile “You are my daughter” He whispered before his voice boomed “Phoenix why don’t you show Adalberto around.”

“Yes Daddy. Come on” I said with a smile. He got up and walked next to me. “Soooooooooo tell me about yourself.”

He looked down at me he was a good half foot taller than me, his eyes were this chocolate brown. “I am Adalberto, I am full Italian, and both my parents are dead and I am currently living with my uncle Tony. Although you must already know that.”

“How were your parents killed? I know what they did.”

            He let out a small laugh “Your father doesn’t keep much from you does he?” he shook his head “I don’t think people should be exposed to this… life when young, it just isn’t fair, watching people you know just disappear.”

“Unless you know where they go and why.” I said softly “Then-“

“Then you can put reasoning to a death, even at a young age” Dragon’s voice made me jump.

“Then death, no matter the cause, is acceptable.” River’s voice continued the phrase. Daddy had taught use that phrase from a young age. River had on a pair of jeans with a white button up shirt. Dragon was in jeans a blue dress shirt and a black blazer. “Anyway,” River continued “I’m River, you must be Tony’s nephew.”

“Um yes, my name is Adalb-”

“We know your name.” Dragon snapped, he could change personalities fast. “My name is Dragon I understand your situation.” Boy was Dragon going to be good when he took over for Daddy. We all knew Dragon was going to take over the position, ever River. “I hope you don’t follow their footsteps. People might wonder where the family is going.” You could clearly tell Dragon looked down on Adalberto. River was staring absently at the ceiling, hands shoved into his pockets, slowly rocking back and forth.

“So what cha doing?” I said trying to ignore Dragon’s threat.

“Going to town, we’ll be home by lunch. Do you need anything Trivial?” Dragon said to me, but his glare never left Adalberto.

“No, except ice cream, I like ice cream…” Looking over at River I realized that he was in the same position he was in earlier. “Hey Tweedle-Dee! If you’re planning to put something up there don’t. I will kill you; literally kill you.” River let out a small laugh and smiled, a bad smile. It said you better watch your back. Great.

            As Dragon and River passed by us on the way to the door River mouthed “I don’t trust him.” Dragon put one hand on my shoulder and whispered “Don’t trust him, don’t spill anything, Phoenix.  His parents were rats, he might carry the gene. Don’t forget that.” I slightly nodded my head.