I was about to make another sardonic remark when Annie interrupted, “If you don’t mind, I’d actually like it if you and I were a team in the arena,” she gave me a shy smile, “we could always split up if things don’t seem to be working out, or if you feel like you want to be alone.”

                 I considered it; thinking about the previous talk I’d had with Finnick. Obviously, if I stayed with Annie in the games I’d always have the constant worry on my back of whether I’d have to be the one to kill her or not, but on the other hand, I’d always be around if-and-when Finnick sent us any sponsor gifts. “Fine, together.” I muttered, “But, I want to make it absolutely clear; we’ll work together equally, if I see that you’re holding me back or putting me in danger I won’t hesitate to leave.”

                   “Deal.” Annie nodded, appearing pleased that a decision had been made.

                    Finnick frowned a little but nodded as well before he continued to address us, “Ok, well since that’s settled I also have other news.” He scratched his head nervously and then looked directly at me; whatever he was about to ask, I was the one he knew he’d have to convince, “ahem- so this morning I received a message from Gloss and Cashmere,” he paused and took in my suddenly livid expression, “-and another from Brutus and Enobaria…”

                   I took a deep breath, attempting to keep a calm and composed demeanor, “And? What do they want?” I demanded, though I had a faint idea of what he was about to say.

                    “As you know they’re this year’s mentors for district one and two, which normally make up the heart of the Careers. Sometimes, if they see someone they like they make exceptions. Anyway, after the chariot rides they were… Impressed, I guess you could say, with you.”

                    I noticed his expression seemed anxious and I quickly pieced it together, “Me. Just me?” I asked, glancing pointedly at Annie, “What about her? I mean, if they’re serious about this she’s the real ‘pick of the litter’ here. I left the Academy remember? I haven’t had any real hands-on training.”

                   “Don’t be so down on yourself Thain,” Annie interrupted, “You’re strong and smart. I could almost bet you’ve even had more training and experience from being on those boats than me. Honestly, if it wasn’t because I’ve known you since you were a kid I’d be terrified to even be in the same room as you.”

                   I looked at Finnick sharply, my brows scrunching in anger, “Well, if they want me on their team they can just go jump of the nearest cliff. I’m not joining them.”

                “Don’t be so quick to dismiss them.” Finnick said hastily when he saw me beginning to rise from the table, “I’ll tell their mentors that you’re still thinking about it. Listen, you don’t want to get on these guys’ bad side. They’re lethal, and you don’t want them to have a specific grudge against you when the games start. Just think about it ok?”

                     “Fine, I’ll think about it.” I replied in an ironic tone; putting imaginary air-quotes around the word think. They all had another thing coming if they thought I’d even consider being a part of their group. I’d been less than thrilled at the thought of having to work with Annie in the arena, and this was a girl that I’d known and played with as a child. The thought of feigning friendship with the Careers was enough to literally spoil my appetite. I strode away to my room without another word.  I could honestly not think of even one reason I’d lower myself to such a level.