Chapter II - Sandstorm

The group moved out into the street again.
Jar Jar walked a few steps behind the others, as they walked by an outdoor café, filled with a rough gang of aliens.

A stall, selling dead frogs caught Jar Jar's attention, making him stop.

He quickly looked around to see if anyone was looking, before snatching the frog with his tongue, pulling it into his mouth. Unfortunately, the frog was tied tightly to a wire.

"Hey, that will be seven truguts!!" The vendor yelled as he suddenly stepped forward, making Jar Jar open his mouth in shock and panic. The frog snapped away, and landed in a soup, making the soup splash on a dangerously looking alien.

Jar Jar tried to sneak away, but the alien jumped up on the table and grabbed him, making him yelp.

"Chuba!! (You!!)" The beast hissed.
"Who, mesa??" Jar Jar asked, like he had no idea what he was talking about.
"Ni chuba na?? (Is this yours??)" The alien asked, holding the frog up to the Gungan threateningly.
Others started to gather around them.

The beast, named Sebulba, shoved Jar Jar to the ground. The Gungan desperately tried to scramble to safety.

"Why mesa always da one??" Jar Jar mumbled to himself.

"Because you're afraid." Jar Jar heard Anakin say, as he pushed his way next to him, closely followed by Ziera.

"Chess ko, Sebulba. Coo wolpa tooney rana. (Careful, Sebulba. This one's very connected.)" Anakin said confidently, making him turn towards the boy.

"Tooney rana nu pratta dunko, shag. (Connected?? What do you mean, slave?)" Sebulba asked curiously.

"Oh da Hutt. Cha porko ootman geesa. Me teesa rodda co pana pee choppa chawa. (As in Hutt. Big time outlander, this one. I'd hate to see you diced before we race again.)" Anakin answered cockily.

"Annie!" Ziera hissed warningly at him, trying to keep him out of trouble.

"Neek me chowa, wermo, mo killee ma klounkee (Next time we race, wermo, it will be the end of you!) Una noto wo shag, me wompity du pom pom. (If you weren't a slave, I'd squash you right now.)" Sebulba hissed angrily before turning away.

"Eh, chee bana do mullee ra. (Yeah, it'd be a pity if you had to pay for me.)" Anakin yelled at Sebulba, just before the rest of the group showed up.

"Hi! Your buddy here was about to be turned into orange goo. He picked a fight with a Dug. An especially dangerous Dug called Sebulba." Anakin explained to the Jedi.
The Jedi's eyes briefly turned towards Ziera who slowly walked closer to the group, before his eyes turned back to the boy.

"Nosir, nosir. Mesa hate crunchen. Dat's da last ting mesa wanten." Jar Jar quickly added, trying not to get into trouble with the Jedi.

"Nevertheless, the boy is right. You were heading for trouble. Thank you, my young friend." Qui-Gon said calmly, turning to Anakin.

Padme and Anakin exchanged a smile, before they all started to walk down the crowded street.

"Mesa doen nutten!" Jar Jar said, stumbling behind them.

"Fear attracts the fearful. He was trying to overcome his fear by squashing you. Be less afraid." Anakin said wisely.

Ziera just shook her head, walking a few steps in front of the group.

"And that works for you." Padme said impressed.

"To a point." He answered with a smile.

They all stopped by a fruit stand, run by a jolly, but very poor, old lady.

"How are you feeling today, Jira?" Ziera kindly asked the old lady.

"The heat's never been kind to me, you know, Zerrie!" The lady giggled.

"Guess what? I've found that cooling unit I've been searching for. It's pretty beat up, but I'll have it fixed up for you in no time, I promise." Anakin interupted.

"You're a fine boy, Annie." Jira said smiling.

"I'll take four pallies today." Ziera said to the lady.

Anakin turned to Padme. "You'll like those." He said with a smile, while Ziera reached into her pocket, for 3 coins.
She dropped one of coins on the ground, which Qui-Gon politely picked up for her, briefly revealing his lightsaber by accident.

"Oh. I thought I had more. Make that three, Jira" Ziera said disapointed and a bit embarrassed, just as the wind started to pick up.
The shop owners around them, quickly started to close up, as Jira handed the three pallies to Ziera.

"Gracious, my bones are aching. Storm's coming on, Kids. You'd better get home quick." Jira said with her raspy voice.

"Do you have shelter?" Ziera asked, turning to the Jedi master.

"We'll head back to our ship." He answered.

"Is it far?" Annie quickly asked.

"On the outskirts." Padme answered a bit concerned.

"You'll never reach the outskirts in time. Come with us." Ziera said deternimed before storming off.
"Hurry!" Anakin yelled before the rest of the group followed.

"Mom! Mom! We're home." Annie yelled as they all entered the hovel.

"Dissen cozy." Jar Jar said looking around the hovel.

Their mother stepped out from her working room, startled to see the room full of people.

"Oh, my!! What's this?" She asked puzzled.

"These are my friends, Mom. This is Padme, and...gee, I don't know any of your names." Anakin trailed off.

"They couldn't reach shelter before the storm." Ziera quickly added, almost apologizingly.

"I'm Qui-Gon Jinn, and this is Jar Jar Binks." The Jedi presented, gesturing towards the Gungan.
R2 let out a little beep.

"And our droid, R2-D2." Padme added standing next to the droid.

"I'm building a droid. You wanna see?" Ani exclaimed excitedly, before dragging Padme with him to his room.

"Your kids was kind enough to offer us shelter." Qui-Gon said with a warm smile.

Qui-Gon took five small capsules from his utility belt and handed them to Shmi.
"I have enough food for a meal." He said smiling, placing the capsules in her hand.

"Oh, thank you. Thank you so much." Shmi said surprised, staring at the capsules in her hand.

"I'm sorry if I was abrupt. I'll never get used to their surprises." She laughed.

"He's a very special boy." Qui-Gon added.

Shmi looked at him as if he had discovered a secret.

"Yes. They both are in some way." She said, looking over at Ziera standing quietly in the corner.