Alternate Beginning 4

Please note the chapter below is a rough draft and it wasn’t edited. So all you grammar buffs, please be kind. If you notice a glaring error, just send me a note and I’ll make the correction when I have a chance.

If you haven’t read The Zeuorian Awakening as of yet, the deleted scene doesn’t contain any spoilers.

Brief Background of the Scene

This scene starts prior to Lexi glowing and transforming.

 ###

AS THE SUN SLOWLY DISAPPEARED below the horizon, Lexi stood on the edge of the rock overlooking the ocean two stories below.  She read the last line written on the paper. “I love you mom and dad. I hope one day you’ll forgive me for what I am about to do.”

She neatly folded the paper into quarters and closed her hand over it, squeezing her fingers into her palm until her skin turned beet red. Then she jumped off the rock and fell toward the white foaming waves. Her body plunged into the water, an inch from the jagged rocks.

Plankton and seaweed danced around her with the current as she swam toward the surface, but nothing else happened. Not a single new memory or vision came to her. She was just as clueless as ever about the summer her parents had died.

It was bad enough to lose them, but down right heart wrenching she wasn’t able to remember them the last couple of months or even minutes before they died.

She tried everything. Jumping off the rock was her last resort, but who was she kidding. She had gone to the rock to escape her birthday party. She hadn’t felt much like celebrating turning seventeen when today was also the second anniversary of her parents passing.

Still, she had a hard time believing they died in a car accident. They wouldn’t have left her alone on her birthday as Aunt Irene claimed. Sometimes she wondered if the pyscho had something to do with it since he tried to kill her a few months before their so-called accident. That would explain why she blocked out the summer.

Once she broke through the surface, she sucked in deep gulp of air and the water bubble around her. That was strange. Could there be a diver beneath her?

She bent her head down to see. Only a part of her torso was visible from the remaining sunlight. Seaweed wrapped around her bare stomach, exposed by her tiny bikini. Its slimy tentacles slithered along her skin as it floated away, but no diver or fish appeared. Although, she had a feeling something had to be down there. What else would be making the water bubble?

A faint light glowed from underneath the water, lighting her toes and warming them. It traveled to her ankle and up her slender thighs, illuminating her bones underneath and raising her body temperature.

Trying to escape whatever was shining a light on her; she swam toward the rock and grabbed hold of it. Every muscle in her body tensed and her mouth dropped open at the sight of her arm.  It appeared to be glowing under the fading light.

No, I can’t be glowing. Maybe the sun setting is playing a trick on my eyes.

She stuck her arm in the water and it shined on the coral attached to the rock a few feet from her.

Oh, hell no. It had to be an illusion.

She plunged her other arm into the water. The light grew more intense and bleached out the brownish-red color rock. The water bubbled around her, forming large waves that thrust her hard against the rock.

Then she felt nothing, not the gentle breeze brushing across her back, not the waves lifting and lowering her limp body and not even her lungs inflating while taking a breath.

The glow underneath her skin faded and the loud roar of the sea transformed into the slow rhythmic beat of her heart. Thump, thump . . . thump, thump . . . thump . . . thu-ump . . . silence.

Her memories and thoughts drifted into a peaceful void. The blue water grew darker as her body sunk deeper and deeper into the abyss until a pair of lips pressed against hers. A rush of air filled her lungs. She coughed up the salt water and choked out, “What happened?”

 “Just relax Angel,” she heard a boy say above a loud wave crashing down on the sand. “Everything is going to be alright. I’ll take good care of you.”

“Thank you . . .”

Her eyes grew heavy and the repeated boom from the crashing waves faded into the distance as she slipped into darkness again.