Prologue

I sit on the cold concrete floor of the cellar cradling Alex as she sleeps. Darkness surrounds our naked bodies as we shiver together searching for warmth. My eyes long for light as I hold Alex's motionless body, for she sleeps. Her eyes rest, for her tired little body is giving out, aching. I feel the sharp hunger pains squeezing my core as I resist the urge to bite Alex. I bet she tastes like a burger. Soft snores escape the child's mouth. I feel the need to sleep but I would not. I refuse to rest and let someone take Alex.

     As I sit with my eyes open trying to see through the darkness the door opened. The light coming in blinded me, blinking my eyes tight till they adjusted. In the doorway Eli stood in his cold stance and hard eyes. Using the wall for support I pry my weak body off the floor and carried Alex with me towards him.

"Leave her." He said in a cruel tone.

"Eli. Please. I can't s-she'll die." I shivered holding the bony naked child close to me.

"That thing can go to hell for all I care." He said turning his back.

"Eli she's your sister." I pleaded starting up the stairs. My knees wobbled as I made my way. Alex's little eyes opened revealing her red orbs.

"That is not my sister or yours. It may have come from mom but it wasn't created by mom or dads genes." He  said turning around. Snatching the fragile 4 year old from my grasp he threw her down. I watch as her small frame tumbles down the stairs finally creating a smack onto the concrete. Faint crys escape her as I slowly got to her side.

"Get out!" I screamed while gently touching her rose red cheek with my cold bony fingers.

"I'll kill her!" He screamed back charging at me knocking me away. As I flew and hit the floor I felt a burning pain as multiple bones cracked through out my body. I feel a blood curdling scream escape my lips as excruciating pain consumed me. Laying on my back, I watch Eli straddling Alex, strangling her. I tried with all my might to pry myself off the concrete and get to her. Tears begin to pour from my eyes, not for myself I don't care about my pain I cry for Alex. I felt myself drifting away as I laid there watching. Pain consumed my entirety as my vision went blurry and sound was only a muffled disappearance. I saw another blur enter swiping the blur that used to be Eli. I could feel myself yelling words though my screams.

"Alex!..... the baby!... protect Her!...." I used the last of my energy to get those words out. Feeling kicks to my lungs with every word. Blackness took over me and pain was no more. I was fading and falling. A bright light in the distance I start towards it as I walk towards it suddenly shuts off and all my pain starts to exist again. I feel the motion of being carried in the arms of a warm presence. I keep my eyes shut and let myself drift away into a slumber.