Redemption

~Jake's p.o.v.~

"How many of them are back?" Sam asks while he paces the floor, myself slightly distracted.

"I dunno... I didn't ask." I mumble staring up the stairs after my imprint.

"Dammit Jacob. You need to keep your head about you. We don't need to risk injury due to the fact you can't make up your damn mind!" He takes a deep breath trying to calm himself.

"I want you to go back and see how many Cullen's are back. We can't get sloppy with that vampire getting closer."

He says in finality, and I simply nod my head and with one last look upstairs I head back to Forks.

~~~

"Jake, you came back! Look, I'm sorry—" Bella exclaims as I walk back into her house, but I can barely hold my composure for long..

"This place stinks to high hell.." I deadpan not really wanting to get into it with her.

"You're welcome to leave then–" Her face drops all emotion, probably similar to mine.

"How many Cullen's are here? And how long are they staying?"

"Just Alice. And she can stay as long as she likes." She snaps at me, and a part of me feels bad, but this is how it has to be.

"Are the others coming back?"

"Not that I know of. Anything else Jacob?"

"That's it." I shrug nonchalantly.

"Better go run and tell Sam." She snides, turning away from me.

I'm about to leave when that little part in my brain makes me feel bad that I've hurt her.. She is a friend after all. And if it weren't for Adelaide, I'd still be in love with Bella...

"I've done it again. I keep breaking my promise not to hurt you." I sigh, turning back towards her.

"It doesn't have to be this way. You were never like this before. Before Sam, and her, and being —"

"Hold on. Don't blame Adelaide for anything. She has no part in my decisions."

"You've been different ever since she came around Jake! She's changed you! And I don't know if I like this new you."

She says angrily, and hearing this I can feel my anger start to boil. She has no idea how much Addy has helped me in this crazy new life..

"You don't have any clue what you're talking about Bella. And anyways, Addy's been nothing but nice to you since you've met."

"Yeah." She scoffs, "Nice. She's been taking you away from me! You're oh so worried about what she might think! You've never been like that!"

"Last I checked, I'm not yours Bella. And—" I'm cut off by the shrill sound of the telephone.

"Swan residence." I snap, still trying to restrain my anger.

"This is Carlisle Cullen, is Charlie Swan there?" I can feel my insides bristle at the name, making my anger flare again.

"No he isn't. He's at a funeral." And with that the line goes dead, and I slam it back on the receiver.

"Filthy bloodsucker." I scoff out, making Bella's eyes widen.

"Wait, who was it?" She panics, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Dr. Carlisle Cullen." I scoff, those damn bloodsuckers keep causing trouble.

"Why didn't you let me talk to him?"

"He didn't ask for you." I shake my head, this is  unbelievable. I've got to get back and tell Sam what I know.

Suddenly I smell it again..the scent of vampire. I feel my body tense, and my instincts kick in causing me to begin to shake.

"Bella, get back." I make some room between us, not wanting to phase on her.

"Alice, what's wrong?" Bella asks as the smallest Cullen slides into the kitchen.

"It's Edward...I just saw a vision..he's going to Italy. To the Volturi..."

"No..." She quickly runs upstairs, probably packing a bag.

I debate if I should follow, but now I have obligations to tell Sam what I know. Knowing Bella will go to her bloodsucker no matter what I say, I leave and begin my run back.

The screen door slams shut behind me as I finally reach Sam's place, Emily and Adelaide poke their heads out of the kitchen. Emily smiles slightly whereas Addy simply goes back in.

"Hey Em, where's Sam?" I ask, staring after Adelaide.

"He should be in the living room." She says with a sad smile.

"Thanks." I shake my head trying to focus as I go to meet Sam, who stands up when he sees me.

"So what do you know?"

"It's just the one Cullen—"

"For now." And I nod in agreement.

"She's taken Bella to Italy, going after Edward or something." I roll my eyes, as does Sam.

"Then more than likely they'll be back.."

"I have this for you Sam."

Adelaide says as she walks in, with a plate full of food and suddenly my stomach growls in jealousy. She glances at me slightly before leaving the room again.

"You better fix that. I've never seen the two of you so quiet.." Sam says motioning to his niece before shoving the sandwich into his mouth.

"I know, I know." I mumble as I follow after the beautiful creature.

"Adelaide wait." I catch her up, placing my hand gently on her arm.

She simply turns to face me, eyebrow raised no doubt waiting for an explanation. I take a deep breath, not really knowing what to say, but hoping I won't screw it up.

"I'm sorry Adelaide for the way I've been lately. Will you let me make it up to you? Would–Would you like to get dinner tomorrow night? We can go for a drive. We could—"

She thankfully cuts off my rambling...I was making a fool of myself, dammit.

"Yes Jake." She says with a giggle. "That sounds like a wonderful idea."

"Really?! That's great, uh that's wonderful!"

She giggles again before heading back upstairs and I can't help the stupid grin spreading across my face.