Richpez - 2

A/N: I was going to do Breredith as my second one shot, but this one just popped into my head and I didn't want to forget my idea. So bask in the glory of Richpez.

Lauren's PoV

"Jo come on we're going to be late!" I yelled.

"Okay, coming!" Joey said. Moments later he was walking out of the room, dressed and finally ready to go.

"What were you doing in there? You took way longer than I did" I said.

"I don't know. I just wanted to look nice for you I guess" he said.

"When has that ever been a concern to you before?" I asked.

"It hasn't. I-It's nothing. Let's get going" he said. He was acting a bit strange, but I brushed it off.

It was the middle of our summer season of 2016 and we had a night off from Firebringer so Joey and I decided we would go out for a nice dinner.

We were seated at a nice table away from the door and enjoying our wine while browsing the menu.

"So what are you going to get?" I asked Joey.

"I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe this lemon chicken? It comes with veggies so that's good" he said.

"Veggies? Not that you don't eat healthy, but as long as I've known you, you've always been more of a potato kind of guy" I said.

"Just changing things up I guess" he said, hurriedly changing the focus to me by asking, "How about you?"

"Me? I think you're crazy and I'm going to get steak and potatoes" I said. He laughed a bit, but sure enough, when the waiter came back, he ordered the chicken.

We talked throughout the meal about what we would do when we got back to LA. We also started making some plans for what we would be doing on Joey's birthday as it was coming up quickly. While we were eating, I could see Joey eyeing my steak, but even when I offered some to him, he insisted he didn't want any in a slightly defensive manner.

We finished dinner and the waiter returned, asking if we would like to see a dessert menu. I, myself, was stuffed, and probably couldn't have any of the desserts anyway, but Joey always made room for a little treat.

"No thanks, we're good. Just the check will do please" Joey said, declining the dessert, much to my surprise. Why was he being so weird?

When we got back to Jade and Eric's, I went into the kitchen to see if I could find any cookies or something like that. I finally found a pack of cookies I had bought the week before. They weren't great, but they would do to satisfy my sweet tooth.

I brought the package out to the living room with me and sat on the couch next to Joey.

"Want any?" I asked.

He eyed them as if he so badly wanted to say yes, but instead shook his head and said, "No."

Was he on some kind of diet I didn't know about? Whatever.

After the episode we were watching was over, Joey and I headed into our room to go to bed. I was already in my pajamas and Joey normally sleeps in just his boxers, but I noticed while I was brushing my teeth that he was getting into bed in a t-shirt and pajama pants. I finished up in the bathroom and then got into bed next to him.

"Are you cold or something?" I asked.

"No, a bit warm actually. Why?" he asked.

"Well if you're warm, then why don't you sleep in your boxers like you normally do?" I asked.

"Oh, um... I don't know. Just wanted to wear pants tonight I guess..." he said, sounding very unsure.

"Okay, no. That's enough. What is up with you?" I asked.

"What do you mean? Nothing's up" he said.

"Oh no you don't" I persisted. "You've been acting weird all night."

"I don't know what you're talking about" he scoffed.

"Yes you do Joey. First you got yourself extra ready, then you didn't order your favorite food OR dessert. You wouldn't have any cookies earlier and now you're sleeping in a shirt and pants? What is going on?" I asked.

"It's nothing" he insisted, yet again, this time more shyly.

"Joey" I said. "Please. Just tell me. You tell me everything" I said.

"Well..." he started. "It's just..." I could tell he didn't want to say it, but after a stern stare, he continued. "I've just been feeling a bit uncomfortable lately is all" he said.

"Uncomfortable with what?" I asked. I was so confused.

He looked away and began fiddling with something on the nightstand. "Myself" he said quietly, as if he were ashamed.

"Joey" I said sympathetically. "Why? What's brought this on?" I asked.

"I don't know. It's just... everyday we're at the theater, in our costumes, on stage in front of a bunch of people..." he said.

"We do that all the time though. You can't honestly be telling me you've developed stage fright this late in your life, can you?" I asked.

"No it's not that, but, you know, mine and Joe's costumes are pretty similar and... he's him and I'm... me" he said.

"I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Of course you're different. You're different people" I said. Joey just continued to look down. I could tell he was hurting, but... wait a second. "Are you talking about the fact that Joe is more muscular than you?"I asked. I could tell by the way that Joey continued to look away that I'd found the source of his discomfort. "Joey... who cares?"

"Probably you" he muttered under his breath.

"What?!? Oh my god Joey of course I don't. That is not my type at all. You're my type. I love the way you look" I insisted.

"Yeah you might, but are you really trying to tell me you're not attracted to him?" he asked.

"Of course I'm not attracted to him! Joey. When have I ever once indicated that I was attracted to him? Even back in college, I was never impressed with his body like everyone else was" I said.

"So you promise you don't care if I'm built like that?" he asked.

"I absolutely promise you that I love you just the way you are, and I don't want anything else. In fact, why don't I go grab those cookies now?" I asked. He nodded quickly and excitedly.

"I love you Joey" I said.

"I love you too. You're the best. I mean, uuuuhhhh... Nevermind!" he said. I gave him a look as if to say, 'really?', but we both laughed at his stupid joke and softly kissed before I ran to get the cookies, returning and jumping back into bed next to him. I nuzzled up against him and opened the package, taking out a cookie and shoving it in Joey's mouth.