DANCE OF THE BUTTERFLIES

Warning: This chapter contains mature content namely of a sexual nature

Dedicated to all the hearts out there who bleed and heal, and all those butterflies which make it real

Music: Beautiful Dreams composed by Adrian von Ziegler

Two weeks passed, and Tiene and Camnath continued working with the Rangers, tracking the Magister, Dar'Khan Drathir. The traitorous mage had somehow survived yet another failed attempt at harnessing the remaining power of the Sunwell. This time an avatar in the form of a young girl had been the source of the Sunwell.

"Will this bastard never die?" Camnath growled when they heard the news.

Tiene sat near the fire in The Farsrider's Enclave, sharpening her daggers. It had become something of a ritual with her each evening - honing the blades' over the sharpening stone, carefully, with reverence. Then equally attentive, she would wipe the knives with a piece of leather, buffing the steel and making it shine. "He will when I reach him," she replied, looking askance at Camnath, a smirk toying on her lips.

"He's a slippery devil, Tiene," commented one of the Rangers. "If the blast from the Sunwell and now the avatar can't defeat him, what makes you think you will?"

"I know what makes him tick," she replied coolly.

The Ranger laughed. "Oh, you should watch yourself, Camnath. You better not annoy Tiene." His colleagues joined in the tease.

Camnath didn't acknowledge their amusement - he lowered his head and remained silent.

Tiene glanced over at him again. A pang of guilt coursed through her, as it often did, during their hunt for Dar'Khan. Sometimes, Camnath still seemed to be the boy from the meadow she remembered so fondly, a little awkward, unsure of himself. He used to be quite vocal about his feelings toward the flamboyant mage, but now, he seemed reserved when Dar'Khan's name was spoken. Something was troubling him, and she didn't know what.

The Ranger spoke again. "This avatar, the young girl, is she safe now?"

"Yes," Tiene replied, sheathing her daggers and gathering her things for the next plan of action. "Lor'themar has her under protection. Dar'Khan will not reach her again." Tiene had kept in regular contact with Lor'themar, updating him on matters and he did likewise.

A low mumbling came from the troop. Tiene's informal manner when referring to the Ranger Lord seemed - disrespectful.

Tiene chuckled. "He's my brother, get used to it!"