A PROMISING STUDENT

 In the absence of Dar'Khan with his portal ability, Nerisen and Tiene had made their way south-east of the Manor and north of Southshore to the nearest flight path at Tarren Mill

One of the town's suppliers who had also been visiting the Manor to provide provisions for the influx of soldiers had kindly offered them passage when he was returning home. Nerisen bought some fruit from the merchant and Tiene sat quietly munching as they trundled along.

Tiene looked at one of the books Nerisen had brought with them but became distracted by the surrounding countryside. Carefully, she placed the book back in the satchel he'd provided. 

She had never been any farther than Fairbreeze Village in Eversong Woods, and even that was by accident when she had been stalking a lynx. The sights around the Hillsbrad Foothills, therefore, were of great interest to her. Although not as vibrant as her beloved Quel'thalas, the countryside was still exquisite boasting fresh, green foliage, clear water streams and rivers, and snow-covered peaks in the distance.

She saw mountain lions, similar to the lynx back home but they seemed more vicious and powerful. They were, nonetheless, beautiful creatures. Alarmingly, there were spiders about the same size as bears which could be seen a safe distance away as they roamed the hillsides. Snapjaw turtles wandered near the river searching out their staple diet of frogs and toads.

The wildlife was certainly varied, and her eye caught sight of the most peculiar creature. It was like a giant flightless owl, its body covered in feathers, with antlers on its head. It walked upright like a man, in fact, it was as tall as one, but that was all the resemblance it bore to a humanoid. Soon another appeared, then another. They were odd and strangely unsettling.

The merchant was kind enough to tell her they were called owlbeasts, and there were many different kinds throughout the continent. The ones here, however, were savage and not to be trifled with unless you knew what you were doing.

Their journey to Tarren Mill didn't take too long, and soon they were thanking the merchant for his kindness. They took a moment to get their bearings. The effects of the war were still evident, would be for months to come yet, and that included everywhere, not just in this small town. Some buildings, having been razed to the ground by invading orcs, were slowly being rebuilt. The surrounding land, scorched from the war, was also in the process of being cultivated for the following season's crops.