Chapter Six | Ideals and Reunions

Kat was mad. She had slept through the entire encounter with Fawn, and she did all but leap upon me when I found her and Stallion waiting in a small cluster of drooping trees.

"You could have died," she said, her voice hoarse.

"I'm fine." I tried a smile, despite how her green eye burned inside me. I tried to keep my voice light—joking. "Even if you had been there, it wouldn't have made much—"

Kat gripped my arm—hard, her nails digging into muscle. "I need to be there," she said under her breath. Then, louder, "With you. Always. Do not leave me behind again."

"O-Okay." I stammered. I didn't want to avoid her face, but I did. The way she held my arm hurt, but it didn't much compare to the twisting guilt in my stomach. I should not have been so selfish.

I didn't wake Kat because I wanted her to sleep. I wanted to be alone when I faced Fawn. In case she wasn't all there, in case she was the psychopath I had first met again. If Mary hadn't of shown up, it could have been so easy for her to—

"Mouse not with you?" Stallion asked. Kat released me and spun to face him. "She met up with us while you were asleep."

Our eyes met and I knew then why he lied. Your thoughts are not completely your own. Be careful what you think if theres someone nearby you don't want listening in.

Kat wasn't as experienced due to her Master being unaware of it, but Stallion could read me easily. It was only by his good graces that he didn't spill every dark thought that danced in my head.

"She only stuck around as back up," I said, letting those thoughts fall away as memory of just a few minutes ago came flooding back.

Mary had used the front door as her gateway, effectively trapping us inside the little house with no direct way out besides through one of the tiny windows. Once Fawn had divulged the location of the witch, she was already making her way out with a promise that she will meet with us again at an arranged spot. She had opened the door just enough to slip through, flashing me a small smile and a quick wave as she did. As soon as the door closed behind her, Mr. Copper's glowing symbol faded away.

I wasn't stupid. I knew the implications of Mary being able to use her Master's Knowledge at will. But whatever concerns I had were concerns of someone who was not as smart as Mary. She knew what she was doing. Whatever it really was, she wouldn't do it unless it was to keep us all safe.

"Fawn told us where the witch lives," I went on before the silence stretched for too long. "Mary gave me a spot for us all to meet before we confront her."

"That's the plan, then?" Stallion turned his big head, looking around the small space we all shared. "She didn't come either?"

I shook my head, feeling my throat tighten as I did. "No. She's still with Wildwood. The only reason she is keeping Mary's involvement and where we are a secret is because the witch is commanding her to."

I let the silence drag on then. Let the terrible reality sink in for them and, again, for me. Out of all the people stacked up against us, Fawn was the clearest, biggest threat. She had the strength and speed we all possessed, as well as the years of experience we lacked. It was laid out clearly in the two years of sparring fights. One-on-one, none of us could beat Fawn. As a group, we only came close when it was all of us against her. And now, we were one person weaker.

The only thing that kept Fawn from wiping the floor with us was the witch's command, and she was even fighting that, to an extent. Without it, we would have been a pile of bruises and broken bones at Wildwood's doorstep within the first few days of us escaping. I was almost sure of it.