Prologue

Hi! So this is my first story, it's a Scorpion fanfiction and.....I hope you enjoy it! I'll try to update at least three times a week. Also, if you enjoy it, tell me and leave a comment!

I took a deep breath, glancing at the building in front of me, then at the old, ripped postcard in my hands. I shivered, wrapping my arms around myself and pulling my hat down to shield my face from the icy rain. I sighed, taking an unsure step towards the building, and then halting and standing for another minute. I stood in the dim light of the streetlamp, looking upwards towards the sky, which was dark and cloudy and unsettling in the winter evening. This, I thought, was probably going to be the most difficult thing I have ever done.

Sorry, this must be confusing. I'll start from the beginning. Well, as far back as I can remember.

I was born on October 9th, 2006. I am a ten year old genius. My father was also a genius. He and my mother both loved me, but not each other.

My parents split up for...various reasons when I was four years old. I remember every second of that day. My mother had just come home from who-knows-where. (I later found out it was to visit her secret boyfriend, Quincy Berkstead.) Twenty four minutes later, my father returned, presumably from the casino. My mum was...angry, to say the least. She began shouting and cursing at my father for being late home. She didn't bother to mention how she had also just returned. My dad tried to calm her down, which only succeeded in making her even more furious. She stormed out, slamming the front door as she left. Dad had come up to my room then, and we talked for a while. He gave me some easy equations to solve, but we were both just trying to ignore the one thought in the back if our minds. What if she never comes home?

She did come home, of course, though what happened next made me wish she didn't. She walked in, stared straight at my father and spat out two harsh words. "Get out."

I'll admit, that was not what I expected to happen that day. It took another week to sort out the divorce papers. My mum got custody of me, because of my dad's gambling problem. When he left, we were standing in the hallway. His bags were by the front door and he stood there, wearing his fedora. My mother stood by the stairs, arms crossed, frowning at him. I was standing right in front of him, tears making my eyes shine as I looked up sadly at him. He crouched down, and I hugged him tightly. "Please, don't go..." I whispered into his ear. "I'm sorry, Al, I have to." His voice cracked and it sounded like he was about to cry. I sobbed quietly into his shirt. "Hey, hey, shhh," he rubbed my back consolingly. "Hurry up." My mother snapped at him. My dad glared up at her. "Okay, listen, I'll write you letters, okay? Don't worry, we'll keep in touch." He whispered it so that my mother wouldn't hear. I sniffed and nodded silently. "Here," he said. He took off his hat and placed it gently on my head. It didn't quite fit, and I had to push it up to see properly. "You keep this for now, alright." He kissed my temple and stood up, nodding awkwardly to my mother.

Picking up his bags, he opened the door. Before he left, he turned around and looked at me. "Next time I see, you, kiddo, I'll be wanting my hat back." He winked, as though it was our secret. In a way it was.

He wrote me for a while, he told me how he'd found a group of people like him, like us. Scorpion, he said. He told me where it was and said that if I ever needed him, to go there.

My mum had gotten married to Quincy by that time. I didn't like Quincy and he didn't like me. I spent most of my time in my bedroom, hacking and reading. My mother and I grew farther apart, and one day she stopped talking to me altogether. She came into my room one day, to see me writing to my dad. He was just about to move into a new apartment- he mentioned it in his last letter. I had yet to get his new address. My mum made a very angry phone call to him then, saying he had no right to be talking to me secretly. She made us move after that, far away to a different house in a different neighbourhood, so that my dad would never find our new address. I never got another letter after that.

After a while of thinking and debating, I ran away. I left a note for my mum. It's not like she'd really care if I wasn't there. So I left. To get a chance to be happier. To find my father. To give back his hat. That hat was my hope. It was a bond, a promise that we'd meet again. So I never saw my father again. Until now. Because today, one way or another, that fedora was getting back to Tobias Curtis.

And that's my backstory.

And that's that! Sorry, it's short, but I sort of wanted to do a cliffhanger-y, anticipation, climax sort of thing. I don't know. Give me your feedback if you'd like and I'll catch ya later!

~DotBot   ^-^