Chapter Twelve

I didn't know how long Anna and I were out, but when I came to, both Shanna and Olaf were still in the snow, surrounded by Pride members as they kept their Matriarch and Guardian warm since neither had time to curl up against the cold. Myself and Anna were in the same condition, though the big difference was that the two of us had four fluffy balls of wolf scattered in with the cats around us and I had a puppy wolf-ball pressed against my side. Though I could still feel the aching loss in the bonds I knew that I didn't have time to sit and feel miserable about it, I needed to act, and act quickly. *Yevgeny, where are you?* I sent, my mind still a bit scrambled.

*I'm in Security,* Came the answer as I sensed that he was already beginning to anticipate what I wanted him to do.

*I want you to lock down the compound and ensure that the gate is manned. I have a feeling that right now the guardhouse is empty.*

*Yes, sir. Is there anything else you need me to do?* He asked quickly.

*Yes, I want you to send a Protector to the Houses of Berekov, Sansinov, and Grsinksky and check them out, I have a feeling that those three houses are empty now. If they are empty I want you Protector to be careful, they may have left some nasty surprises behind. I also want you to redouble the flights on the border, task every raven you can to keep our eyes on our boundaries. I have no doubt that our patrolling Protectors are a bit out of it for the moment.*

As soon as I received and affirmative on those measures I checked on the Matriarch and Guardian again before we headed to the Pride House. I couldn't do much in the snow, behind the Pride House in the way of getting at least some understanding of what was going on. I also made a point to ask both Katyusha and Caspian to make a flight around the perimeter of the territory while we sorted things out. Though ravens normally didn't have great night-vision all of our ravens did have some ability to see in the dark.

On arriving at the Pride House both Anna and I made our way to her parents' offices were we both began to get a bit better picture of what was really going on. As far as I could tell the three of the Pride Houses had broken their bonds and gone off, it was, from what I'd been able to gather, a forced Pride Split where the dissenting Houses had gone off to form their own Pride. Though at the current time I was still trying to get information as to if that was the case.

It was almost two in the morning when Sergey came into the room, carrying a sleeping pup in his arms. "Mark, are you all, right? That was the most horrid thing I've ever felt."

I looked up, I felt like somebody had poured sand into my eyes. "Sergey, I'm just about..."

"Mark, you look awful, come home and get some rest." He told me, and I could see that he meant it, though he couldn't really give me any kind of orders.

"Sergey, Anna and I have to ensure that everything is safe, the Pride is counting on us while Shanna and Olaf are otherwise incapacitated."

"He came over and gently took my arm, the Pride doesn't expect you and Anna to sacrifice your own health to do it, and you have to remember that they two of you are effectively Katy's parents." I turned to look at him and was about to say something when Anna came over to my other side.

"Love, he's right you know. We've done all we can for the time being and we both need sleep."

After a moment's consideration, I finally nodded and stood up from the desk and shut down Olaf's ancient computer. "We really have to do something about these ancient computers Anna, they aren't helping matters at all."

"Not now Mark," She told me as I stood up and we both headed home for a good night's sleep in front of the fireplace. Before we fell asleep I was sure to pull a puppy pad out for Katy before we all shifted and ended up sleeping in a mound of striped fur.