Part 1

Before he had gone to work for clinic, Hank had prefered to spend his time in the lab at Xavier Mansion. Since it was quite obvious that he was a mutant, he tried to hide from the outside world as much as possible. Everyone had someone except for him: Scott had Logan, Raven and Sean had their "epic bromance," and Charles and Erik were always playing chess (Hank suspected there was something more between the two friends, but he didn't have any proof yet). All Hank had was his lab equipment and his intelligence (which he wouldn't have as much of if he wasn't a mutant, something he cursed about when life got too difficult). The only time he left the lab was to socialize with the others (or, in layman's terms, when Raven came down and dragged him upstairs by the scruff of his neck).

"So, Hank, how's the new experiment going?" Charles asked over dinner.

"So far the results are inconclusive, Professor. And Scott, I made those repairs to your glasses if you want to come grab them after dinner." Scott nodded before continuing whatever conversation he was having with Logan. From the few whispers that Hank could pick up, they were talking about planning a trip for their anniversary. As for Hank's experiment, he was trying to find a way to control his mutation, allowing him to look human for periods of time. He remembered Raven's motto, something she kept repeating to him after their first meeting: "Mutant and proud!" And while he was proud for his mutation, Hank wanted to be able to go out in public without anyone becoming frightened of him because of his appearance. He wanted to do what most of humans took for granted: go to the movies, volunteer at clinics... fall in love.

If he was being honest with himself, the only reason Hank kept trying to find some semblance of a cure was so he could meet someone. He had begun to feel lonely, remembering his parents and how much they loved each other. He had always wanted something like that growing up, but once his mutation transformed from having big feet to blue fur covering every inch of his body. Hank, being the realist that he is, knew that there was no possible way anyone could ever want to be with a monster. But his mother had been very adamant to never give up hope. So he didn't... for the most part, anyway.

When he and Scott went down to the lab after dinner for his glasses, he was surprised when Scott hesitated. "You know my brother Alex?" Hank blinked, shrugging his shoulders. He'd heard stories about Scott's younger brother, who had become blind after their parent's death. Though Hank had never met Alex, he'd heard nothing but good things from Scott. "Well, he's been transferred over to the eye clinic in town, and I was hoping you could go visit him. Look," he interrupted after Hank gave him an alarmed look, "I know how you feel about leaving the mansion, but you're one of the smartest people I know. I was talking with one of the doctors there, and he thinks that its possible to give Alex his sight back. But I want someone there I can completely trust. And that someone is you, Hank."

"Charles is probably better suited than I am. He can actually walk out in public without having to worry about frightening anyone," Hank counters.

If Scott's eyes weren't covered, Hank was sure he'd be rolling them. "Hank," Scott says slowly, "you need to get out and be with other people that aren't the X-Men. I know Alex, he won't judge you—"

"Because he can't see the monster," Hank replies bitterly, his words spoken harsher than normal. After a moment he deflates. "I'm sorry I can't help Alex, Scott, but it's better for everyone if I stay here. All of you are the only ones who won't judge me for how I look. Out there, they will."

Scott stared at him for a few moments before sighing. He took a card out of his pocket and put it out for Hank to take. When he didn't, Scott set it down on the table next to him. "This is the name of the doctor taking care of Alex. If you change your mind, call him. He knows about you, so he won't treat you any different than he would anyone else."

After Scott leaves, it takes Hank all of five minutes to admit defeat and call the doctor. Dr. Alec Bolson seemed nice during their talk about Alex. They decided that Hank would come in tomorrow in order to get a preliminary report on Alex's condition. When he went to bed that night, Hank didn't know whether to be excited or terrified.