Chapter Two

~The Darkling~

"The wedding is in five days, moi soverennyi."

To say he was angered when he heard the news was an understatement. He was enraged. Alina belonged to him and him alone. There was no way he would stand by and let her marry the Lantsov pup.

He had kept his survival a secret, even from Alina. His name was only a whisper, spoken to those who still longed for Grisha dominance. Together, he and his followers had made camp on Ravka's northern border. There he had been training them until eventually, he had created an army of Grisha, ready to fight to the power they deserved. The power he deserved.

After so long, he decided it was the perfect time to pay his little Sun Summoner a visit. He had taken special care to make sure that she couldn't feel his existence through their bond, but now he reached out across the invisible tether that stretched between them.

Slowly, his eyes adjusted to the brightness of the palace. It's walls and colors were all too familiar to him as his eyes scanned the room until they finally landed on the person he had come to see. Alina's back was to him as she spoke with the leader of the Second Army.

Genya Saffin. When he had heard the Tailor had been appointed the position he was surprised, to say the least. The woman wasn't meant for war - she had been trained her entire life to pamper others - but Alina had her own ideas it seemed.

Returning his attention to the Sun Summoner, the Darkling watched as they spoke. From the shadows, he could make out bits and pieces of their conversation, but there was nothing useful until finally, he heard his name spoken in a harsh whisper.

By the way Alina's hands were clenching at her sides, he could tell she was not receiving good news. If they had somehow received word that he was alive and breathing, they were probably worried he would crash her little wedding. She should be worried, he thought.

Finally, it seemed Genya had finished telling Alina whatever it was she had come to say. She grabbed Alina's hands and squeezed before leaving the room entirely.

Alina just stood there for a moment, unmoving, until finally, she turned around.

She gasped, even though he knew she'd sensed his presence the entire time she'd been speaking with Genya. "I'd heard the rumors," She whispered. "But I'd never truly believed them."

He allowed himself to laugh. "You underestimate me." When she didn't respond he continued, "Or you overestimate yourself and your soon to be husband."

If looks could kill, he'd surely be dead. The glare Alina sent his way was enough to send any grown man running; any grown man except him that is.

"If you plan on doing anything Aleksander I swear I will-" He'd had enough. The sound of his name, his true name, on her lips had sparked a fire in him.

"You'll what Alina? Kill me? You've tried that already." He cut her off with a small smirk.

She looked down and sighed before meeting his eyes dead on. "You're right, I did try and I failed. But I swear to you if you come near me or anyone I love I will try again and I won't stop trying until you take your last breath. I will hunt you down and make it so that you have no peace. Just like Mal." Her last words were so quiet, he'd barely even heard them. But he did.

"You still feel for your tracker, don't you? He's gone, Alina!" He yelled. Even in death, this boy remained a thorn in his side. "It's time for you to move on. Come, leave the Lantsov pup, we can rule together."

He knew part of what he'd said called to her. She wanted it, what he offered, but she'd never accept it. He realized that now.

"Never." She said, raising her hands in a familiar motion before slamming them together. The Cut.

The next thing he knew, he was back in his tent in Northern Ravka, the small fire outside creating shadows that danced against the tarp.

He wasn't fazed by her anger, he'd expected it. He knew in time, she'd join him. After all, they had an eternity. All she needed was the proper motivation.

Exiting his tent he made his way to where his captain had set up camp.

"Is everything going according to plan?" The Darkling asked, his face an emotionless mask.

"Yes, just like you said, moi soverennyi." His captain replied. "Our troops are ready and will march for Os Alta tomorrow morning."

Just like he'd planned. Everything was the way he'd planned. Soon, Alina would be his and then all of Ravka. It was only a matter of time.

He had failed once, but not again. This time, he would win.