Chapter Six

As the weeks were passing, the boys were writing and writing. One day the Japanese would hear a story of Viktor's alleged meeting with the British Queen at the airport in Rome, next day it would be Yuri that wrote about old-fashioned yet lovely tea ceremony he'd seen in Kyoto on a family vacation. Even though those were only stories from the past, both of them could see right through the black and white lines of text. The fears, the dreams, the desires, they were all there, just behind the curtain.

The way they spoke really suited Yuri. He didn't need to see the person's face nor think about what to say on spot. It was just between him and the keyboard and he could always start from the beginning. If he didn't feel like ending, the email became long, almost too long to read in one seating. And when he didn't feel up to writing, he just waited for a proper moment to do so.

But he was quite sure, that Viktor would, sooner or later, propose talking in a different way and in the end, it happened.

23rd February 2006

Dear Yuri,

As you know, the GPF is becoming a nightmare for me! All of people here are becoming more and more wound up because of it, my older friends want to do well in it, Yakov wants us to do well but I just wanna skate. You see, that's already an achievement for me so I won't be dissapointed if I don't win. But with all that pressure going around, it's hard for me to focus on writing and it would be much easier if we could just talk, don't you think?

I know you prefer writing, but pleeaase could you do it for me? I don't want to abandon you just because I lack time for opening Word, you know. Is Skype an option for you? If so, we could set an hour a day that pleases us both and get to know each other that way...

The message was much longer than that and was covering the topic of how to properly land a Salchow, but it was that part, that was the most important for the youngster. And though he didn't like to talk, "no" wasn't an option. Not in that case.

Now, waiting for his call to be answered Yuri still couldn't focus on talking. And he definitely couldn't believe his eyes when the connection was finally reached and he saw a big smiling face of his idol looking at him from the screen. Viktor looked just like on the photos: long, white, shining hair, blue-as-sky eyes and the irresistible smile. 

'Hi, Yuri! It's so nice to finally see you' his voice was deep and sweet, but his English had a well-known Russian accent. Yuri quickly saw that his friend was doing his best to sound as clearly as he could, probably worried about being misunderstood. A moment of silence began, as the Japanese guy was still looking surprised at the computer 'Yuri? Can you hear me?' 

'Oh, sorry, I thought I answered' he blushed 'it's just, till this moment I-i doubted it was you all the time' he now realised how stupid it was to think that way. For starters, it was him who started the exchange. 'Sorry...'

'You don't need to be sorry, you have nothing to be sorry for. The pleasure is on me, you can't possibly imagine how nice it is to have a pen pal. I've always wanted to get on with someone in this way, the whole exchange of views and stuff, you know?' he laughed. The young Nikiforov was radiating with joy, but Yuri could see he was very tired

Yuri smiled back and answered 'But wouldn't you like to rest for a while. You seem a little exhausted aren't you? I realise it's early days in Russia but still..' he hesitated on continuing '..but still, I think you should lay down for a bit' 

'Yuriii' Viktor loved the sound of that name and tried to,as often as he could,address the younger skater in this way 'can't you see I'm relaxing right now? I can do both. Spend time with my friend and relax. So, what about that advice I gave you, was it useful?' he steered out of the constant topic of apologising that for some reason seemed so close to Yuri. Note to remember- never let him think he's not needed and terrible at something  Viktor thought . Looking at the messy black head of hair and the eyes behind the glasses, he could not think about him few years ago. The conclusion was rather surprising, the gap of years they had between them meant nothing, it was just an information for the ISU system...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Viktor returned to the rink after the talk with Japan he felt like his batteries were charged again. Something about that boy made him stronger, more focused on the importance of things, and he supposed it worked the same way for Yuri.

'Vitek, you're back' Natalya yawned 'So how is he? Good? Handsome?' she giggled but the only answer she got was a suspisious smile 'Oh, you like him don't you? Come onn' the older skater tried to stop him from entering the rink but only managed to grab his hand 'Look at me when I'm talking young boy' she exclaimed

'Well, I may like him, but, I don't know, I've never fell in love with a guy before, you know' his eyes seemed like he was about to cry, though he had no reason to. That thought was always there, and sooner or later, he knew he would find a guy attractive. But what made the Japanese one special, that question remained unanswered.. 'I really like the way he talks about it, skating, you can feel that he lives for it, and I, too, live for it. But he, he is more passionate and that passion gives me inspiration to do what I love'

'I see... Have you asked him already to watch the show live? I saw a few more tickets in your bag the other day, and well, I'm curious' Nat asked

'Not yet, but I will'

'Promise?'

'Promise' Viktor smiled and enter the ice, happy to finally begin his late practise.