Chapter Three

27th December 2005

Dear Viktor,

I still can't believe I got an answer! I mean, I heard you are quite caring when it comes to fans but there is always an "if". At least in my head. I'm going to try Your method of stress-dealing since I'm willing to get into Japanese Junior Nationals this year. I was so unlucky to be born in the second half of the year and couldn't compete in '05 Juniors. Though I didn't really have big chances either...

Anyway, if we are talking seriously, I wanted to know your opinion on the song me and my coach'd chosen for my free skate. It's River flows in you, probably one of my favorite music tracks. I'm really glad he found it because it'd been playing in my head for a long time now.

I'm planning to go with triple Axel, triple Flip and a Salchow-Toe loop combination. I'm actually only concerned that much about quadruple Salchow. My coach thinks I can do it easily, but I myself don't feel up to it. I've never landed it yet, I know I have almost half a year to go, but... 

On the other hand, if I don't catch up with the expectations we'll have to change it to something less advanced and I'll definitely feel guilty about that. I don't think You can relate, because, have You ever let anybody down? It's not gonna be pleasant if I mess up at the beginning.

God, I completely destroyed the happy mood, didn't I? You asked if I have any animals. I do have one... It's a dog, a poodle exactly, he is still a puppy,needs a lot of care but it is worth it. I'll send You a photo of him one day.

You know, second mail writes itself much quicker. I am surprised, but that's fine, I guess. I only hope it isn't that boring for you, reading about my struggles here

Waiting for an answer,

Katsuki Yuri

---------------------------------------------------

After a day of heavy snow every singe house and every single tree in St Petersburg was finally white. The City of Tsars sure had its charm all year long, but the more winter-ish it got, the better it was. Having lived here all his life, Viktor'd notice more and more tourists visiting the place as the years went by. He didn't mind that, though at that time he needed to remember- instead of using the underground it was better to take the walk.

He once overheard a man stating that the city was nicknamed The Venice of the North due to its canals and bridges. 'Many cities got that name because of it' he thought 'it'd be better if it was named like that after unique style and architecture'

Deep in his thoughts Viktor went out of his flat and headed for the Sports Club. The winter break in skating wouldn't do him any good at that speed as he was now. Also, his last Juniors GPF was ahead, he wanted to end that period as well as he could.

The walk to the club was rather long but picturesque. There was a big park on his way, streets with classy housing and lots of bridges. Viktor loved water almost as much as ice. After all, it's the same substance, different state of matter. He was just passing a bridge when he saw a group of people running in his direction. He noticed the pen in one of the girls' hand and it stricked him: they were fans. The skater liked all of them from the beginning, but they could get really annoying. One time a boy was chasing after him through the whole of Kyoto because he believed that if he had been kissed by his idol a dozen of times it would have made him lucky.

'Slava Bogu it didn't happen this time' he smiled to himself and waved as a goodbye. Viktor looked at his watch, he still had a few minutes. He passed another bridge, the water in the river seemed really cold, the wind began to blow and the man quickly regretted not taking the gloves from home. When he got to the rink his fingers as well as ears were all red and itchy

'Happens every time, doesn't it?' he heard a voice in the background 'Vitek, you need to take care of yourself, you know that.' the woman appeared in the changing room's entrance with one of the skates in the hand and another still on her foot. 'Come on, don't stand like that, your practice is about to start, Yakov is waiting for ya'

Natalya Sadovska, four times GPF gold winner in a row was about to finish her career. At least that's what she said but no one believed it. The unquestionable leader in women's skating'd been saying that last time, only to break the world record in free skate again. Not only talented and witty, Nat had been known for her outstanding beauty starting with the figure and ending on matching fair hair and green eyes. She had been an inspiration for many, including Viktor, so when he found out that they were going to skate under the same coach he was on cloud nine.

'I am taking care of myself, don't you worry. In fact I'm also taking care of someone else now' he stated while changing his boots 'I'm almost a grown-up now, Nat, I won't stay 13 forever' his cheeky smile just can't have been not answered. She smiled back, with a note of surprise.

'Who do you take care of? You didn't go out with anybody recently so who is it? A girl, a boy? What, now you gonna ignore me? No way you are leaving me hear, Vitek come back!' she shouted but it was already his turn on the ice. Viktor turned to his coach and the lesson started, leaving Nat without an answer.

------------------------------------------------------------

'You gonna tell me what was that about? As your friend, I wanna know' usually Natalya'd leave the practice as soon as it ended to go grab something to eat. This time, she sat through the guy's practice, watching him repeat the jumps for Junior GPF. Even if he overrotated one or didn't land a Salchow the eyes just couldn't be turned away from him.

'What? Ah, that one!' Viktor seemed to forget what'd happened before he hit the ice. He started packing his golden skates and answere'I found a friend. Well it's more of a pal. Like, a penpal. You jealous?' his eyes turned to the woman, waiting for her reaction

'No, it's just, you didn't tell me that in the first place. Come ooon say something more' she begged 'You'll never have peace again if you leave it like that' Viktor knew that was seriously going it happen if he didn't answer. Natalya could be a real pain in the neck when she wanted to get information.

'Honestly, I don't know that much about him, we only started hanging out if I can use the term. He's a Japanese junior skater, few years younger than me' his face turned red in embarrassment but he needed to continue'Probably a massive fan but he won't admit. Anyways, I think he's quite nice. I checked him on the internet, the guy has a talent and he asked me to help him. You see it now?'

'Yeah, I just hope you won't do him any harm. If he's younger than you he should be cared of with caution. I always say it skater's heart is as fragile as glass. Remember that, kiddo.' Nat smiled 'Wanna have a snack? I'm starving' she burst with laugh and stood up, waiting as her friend was finishing his packing up

'Sure, what we eating?' the boy quickly agreed and looked inside his bag for a wallet.

'I was thinking Chinese, but maybe sushi would be a better option' Viktor looked at her with awkwardness written on his face 'I'm kidding' she laughed and walked through the door 'I'm just kidding...'