16 - Velvet and Ink

Start from the beginning

"I'd like to see him now, and you guys look like you're OK without me anyway." Hermione said, grinning cheekily at her friends. Harry flushed, and Ginny winked before turning back to her boyfriend.

Hermione walked across the street quickly, rubbing her hands together to stop her fingers from freezing. As soon as she opened the shop door she was hit by the explosions of colour and sound - and a few literal explosions. Apparently the firecrackers invented by George and the late Fred were incredibly popular, and regular demonstrations of their ability were held in the shop. Other customers flocked around the trick sweets and games, while George, looking mildly harassed, re-stacked several shelves with a flick of his wand.

"Ah, Hermione!" he greeted her, "Great to see you. Are you visiting to purchase, to help, or to talk to Ron? Because he's in a foul mood and I'm heartily sick of him, so please either cheer him up or get him out of my shop."

"I'd love to see Ron," Hermione laughed. George pointed her to the till, then excused himself to go and clean up a dropped potion vial. Hermione slipped through the crowd and found herself stood next to the cashier's table, where Ron was stood in an offensively orange apron, ringing up items and giving huge fake smiles to excited children. He was delighted to have an excuse to put up the 'BACK IN 5 MINUTES' sign, and Ron showed her to the storeroom.

"Honestly, George is such a taskmaster. He's meant to be the funny jokey one, but really he's a bloody pain." Ron complained, pulling off the apron and running a hand through his hair. Hermione sat down on a box of the spare toys, and asked him how he was. Ron proceeded to talk about his Auror training, and how hard it was to balance everything at the moment.

"I've got to keep Mum happy by working hard, then I've got to help George because I like this shop and he moans otherwise, and I've got to help Harry with his stuff too, all while listening to Mum badgering me about finding a girlfriend. She says she doesn't understand why it didn't work out between us, and wishes you were her daughter-in-law, and --" Ron broke off. "I'm sorry, Hermione. You didn't come to listen to my stupid complaints."

"It's fine, I get that it's hard for you," Hermione said. "And, about us... You don't want us to get back together, do you?"

"What? No. I mean, did you?" he asked, looking slightly apprehensive.

"No. I just wondered, because you were mentioning it. I like being friends with you much better, to be honest." Hermione said. Ron looked significantly more comfortable, and smiled.

"So how are things with you? Have you managed to find an elusive boyfriend?" he asked her, gesticulating dramatically.

Hermione laughed, and told him about her work, and Ginny, and the Support Group, and the exams, and her parents, and...

"Wow, slow down," he told her. "You are overthinking all of this way too much. I'm not good at a lot of things, Hermione, but one thing I am good at is knowing when something is too complicated. And you are worrying about far too many things for one person to sensibly cope with. Find someone to talk to. Get other people to help you. And for Merlin's sake, Hermione, relax! Get a hobby to help you calm down. You will make yourself ill otherwise."

"I'm fine, Ron, honestly," Hermione started, but at that moment George came into the storeroom.

"Well, while you two were flirting in the broom cupboard I've had at least five customers tell me I need to get a better cashier. Out!" He pointed them outside. Ron's ears were red as he took up his place behind the till again. Hermione thanked him, said goodbye to George and left.

She had started down the road, back to the school, when she saw Malfoy. He was stood alone, looking into the window of Flourish and Blotts. Hermione remembered how he had helped her the other night. It was so kind, and he had had no reason to do it other than he was being nice. She felt her face warm up as she thought about it. He was very sweet, really. She decided she needed some way to show her appreciation, so she walked over to him.