Chapter 27 - "And welcome home, I guess."

ابدأ من البداية

"Danny, actually told me I had been invited by Poppy. Which she had told Danny about the party, the day he came over to watch the Grammys. I apologize for that by the way. I feel like I should have given you some warning or heads up that he has a tendency to randomly show up at times. He's afraid of an empty apartment."

"It's fine, he showed up the next weekend as well and offered me a job as his drummer for his summer tour. So it worked out."

Amelia laughed.

"He told me from the minute he asked me to free style on the drums in your apartment that he had wanted to hire me," she said. "He then apparently went around talking to my professors and checking up on me."

She looked at Sebastian with an apologetic expression.

"Sorry that you didn't win by the way."

Sebastian settled against the counter.

"It's okay. If I had to lose to anyone, I'd prefer it to be to Hey Farewell. Their single was perfect. Congratulations on the job. You deserve it. Danny's a great person to travel with. I know he doesn't seem like he would be, but he is," Sebastian said, his tone serious.

"Thanks. I know you talked to him about me and I appreciate you putting in a good word."

Sebastian's smile was quiet as he nodded his head. Danny sauntered into the kitchen.

"Hey Aims, happy birthday," Danny said, pulling her into a hug. "What were you two chatting about?"

"Just catching up," Sebastian said, simply.

Amelia nodded. Danny smiled, deciding it meant he was free to change the topic, which he proceeded to do. Sebastian and Amelia found entertainment in Danny's story about his encounter with a girl while shopping for a birthday present for Amelia. The girl had helped Danny decide what to get as well as giving him her number.

"Long story short," Danny said.

Amelia and Sebastian exchanged a skeptical look.

"Fine, not that short. Anyways Aims, happy birthday," Danny said, holding out a small box.

Hesitantly, Amelia took it. Inside was a necklace with a silver tear drop.

"I know it's not fancy, but you didn't strike me as the flashy kind of jewelry wearing person."

"Danny it's wonderful, thank you," she said, hugging him.

Poppy bounced into the kitchen disrupting the moment, announcing it was time for the cake. Shooing them out of the kitchen, she called out to Charlie to come help her. The lights flickered off and Poppy started singing happy birthday. Amelia smiled as the voices around her joined together, Danny's clear on one side, Sebastian's on the other. Amelia blew out the candles and the lights jumped back to life.

"What did you wish for?" Sebastian asked.

"That's not how it works," Amelia said.

"I don't believe in wishes," Sebastian said. "You make the future you want by working. So what did you wish for?"

Her smile was playful. "Nothing. I agree with your statement."

Plates of crumbling cake were placed into their hands.

The rest of the party passed with laughter, a few toasts started by Charlie and finished by Poppy. Poppy had made a big show of making Amelia a Manhattan and having everyone watch while she drank it, since it was her 21st. Amelia grimaced as the drink went down, but forced a smile onto her face for Poppy's sake. It was the only drink she had the whole night.