Chapter 13: Interrogating

Start from the beginning

Jenna had obviously come straight from the funeral home, still in her black dress and sexy stockings. We were still in our funeral garb too, but Ethan had left his jacket in the car.

"Hi," Jenna said, sliding into the booth next to Ethan.

I was sitting across from them and trying not to notice how close she sat to Ethan. "I'm Kait."

"Jenna," Jenna said as she held a tight smile. "So, I guess I should just start. I don't want to do the usual bullshit talking about stuff that doesn't really matter. You both think my sister was murdered?"

"We're not trying to freak you out, Jenna," Ethan had turned to her, with concern.

"Oh, I'm not freaking out," Jenna said, "I've been thinking about it since we talked and I think you could be right. But I think you could be wrong too. I mean, we've had a couple of crappy years."

I nodded. Ethan did the same. There was an awkward silence. I watched Jenna fidget in her chair. It was so bizarre to see her sitting across from us very much alive when her twin was across the street in a coffin. They looked so much alike. This had to be horrible for Jenna. Still, we had to start this before Jenna changed her mind.

"So, what exactly happened to Vanessa the night she died?" I asked after a moment.

It had to be asked and I knew it would be hard for Jenna to talk about, but all Ethan and I knew was what his mom had overheard and what was in the obituary. We had to ask. At least that's what I kept telling myself even though I felt guilty about it.

"Well," Jenna said, and then seemed to collect herself. "It was pretty much a normal day. I mean, I didn't see Vanessa in the morning. She liked to sleep in. I went to work. Then I came home around four. Vanessa and I argued for a second and then I went out with some friends. My mom found her a few hours later in the bedroom."

"What did you argue about?" I asked as Ethan shot me a warning look. I ignored him.

Jenna sighed, "She sucked at taking messages and someone called for me, but she couldn't remember who. So, I got mad at her. I mean, if it was someone really important they would have called my cell, but still. Write it down, Vanessa."

I nodded. Ethan was quiet. Jenna looked sad.

"So, did anything happen before your mom found her in the bedroom?" I asked.

Jenna shook her head, "No. My mom was downstairs making lasagna and watching TV. She went upstairs to find out if Vanessa wanted some and found her dead."

"And you were out with friends?" I asked again. Was there anything else Jenna knew that she wasn't saying? Any detail could mean something.

"Yeah. You can check if you like," Jenna said looking at me, challenging me to ask her for proof of her whereabouts.

"No, it's okay," Ethan said for me.

I shot him a look. We might have to check on them, but for now I decided to try a different tactic. We needed to know about this anyway.

"Do you know if Vanessa knew a guy named Troy Matthews?" I asked.

Jenna thought for a moment, fidgeting uneasily. "Well, I don't know if it's the same guy, but she did date a guy named Troy right after we graduated high school. That was forever ago, though."

Ethan and I exchanged a glance. It was very likely our Troy knew the latest victim too! It was all becoming a very, very big coincidence. He had to be the murderer!

"Are you sure?" I had to ask again, just to be positive.

Jenna looked straight at me with the same intense brown eyes her sister must have shared, "I remember her talking about a Troy a lot.  I met him once at a party. He seemed okay. But, I can't tell you his last name. She dated a lot of guys. I didn't keep much track of her love life. I have my own to worry about, you know."