‘You flipping genius!’ I smiled and slapped the side of her head, lightly

   ‘I know! I know!’ she replied, she grinned, flipping her hair.

   ‘Thanks, Alex’ Brandon waved at her, looking unsure, not sure why he was thanking her, but delighted at the same time.

   ‘Let’s go on a double date!’ I exclaimed ‘You, Carl, Brandon and I!’ I exclaimed. Brandon and Alex smiled at my enthusiasm.

                                                    **********

It felt so natural to hug Amelie as we sat eating Burger King. Especially now I didn’t have to avoid eye contact. Alex looked so happy and proud like our happiness was all because of her. But from what Amelie had told me it really was, well her and Joshua. So we both kind of owed her.  

     After the “gourmet” meal Carl took us to this meadow his uncle owned beside his house. We lay in pairs, staring at the greying sky. A light, cold rain pricked our skin and then quickly trickled down our faces. Rain drops decorated Amelie’s hair like sparkling clips. The rain  got heavier and Amelie stood

   ‘Let’s go for a drive!’ she smiled. We looked at her as if she was crazy.

   ‘Are you mad?!’ Alex exclaimed, her voice going very high pitched as she bobbed her head in disbelief, her habit.

   ‘No! It’ll be fun!’ she smiled. She grabbed my hand and helped me up. We walked to the car and Alex and Carl followed, the girls sat in the back of the car. We kept the roof down. I sped down the country roads. Passing trees and sometimes houses. The rain started pouring down. I heard a scream. I looked in my rear-view mirror. Amelie had her hands thrown in the air. She looked up, opening her mouth and letting raindrops dance on her tongue. Her soaked hair flowed past her shoulders. Her and Alex squealed in excitement as I sped up. Carl rolled his eyes and laughed. We swerved around corners, the wind slapping our faces and made our clothes stick to our skin. Even though I wasn’t sure it was possible, it rained harder. I would have kept driving if Alex hadn’t sneezed on the back of Carl’s neck. So I returned to the meadow, Carl and Alex got into her car and drove home. I put up the roof of the car, Amelie sat beside me in the passenger seat. We drove to her house. I borrowed some of Joshua’s clothes as she changed too into her sweatpants and an off-the-shoulder jumper that she loved. Then we had to explain to our parents (Yes as always, my parents were there. I swear, You‘d think we had no house) how we were together. She blushed when we explained what happened. Our parents were practically glowing with happiness. Then they started talking about MARRIAGE arrangements . Amelie and I left the room, annoyed. We sat at the kitchen table, but tried to listen to their conversation. Amelie kept snorting with laughter and looking at me for my reaction. 

   ‘Oh my God! If they think I’m wearing a dress like that, they’re crazy!’ she growled after hearing that she has to wear a REALLY puffy, layered styled dress-yes, they went that far- She stood from the table and walked across the hall and into the living room

   ‘Amelie. What are you doing! Don’t get involved’ I hissed after her

   ‘Mom! If I am to get married. I will pick my own arrangements! Such as… I’d like lillies in my bouquet and around the church and the hall for the dinner, I’d like jewls and flowers on the torso my dress-corsetstyle. I’d like small flowers at the top and a long, flowing, silk skirt and little diamonds littered around the veil and NOT a big tiara, a cute, subtle one, I think I’ll need two pairs of shoes…’ she smiled as her father glared, thinking of the price ‘flats for dancing, but heels for the actual wedding, I’d like the meal to be in a castle too. Oh, for my hair, I want it curled. Brandon likes my hair wavy. Am I forgetting anything?’ she asked ‘Oh yes! My cake!’ she smiled ‘CHOCOLATE! Double chocolate,with white icing. Also I want Alex to be the maid of honour, of course. The bridesmaid dresses will be… um… hot pink with an indigo ribbon as I belt.’ she was pushing it now. To lighten the mood, I walked in, standing up properly from where I was leaning against the door jam.

   ‘I’d like Joshua to be my best man’ I smiled, Both our moms seemed glad about that. Amelie laughed and winked at me.

   ‘Nice one, Bran!’ she mouthed to me, she walked across the room and hugged me, gently. ‘Thanks’ she whispered, gently in my ear. I smiled and kissed her cheek. She smiled.

     We sat in the living room, alone. Our parents were out for dinner together and Joshua was working on a science project at his partner’s house. Her hair was still damp and curling. She was curled up on the couch. Her head was on my shoulder. I swear, she had an obsession with Friends.

   ‘Amelie…’

   ‘Hmm-mm?’ she replied

   ‘I missed you’ I smiled, she hugged me

   ‘I missed you more’

   ‘I missed you most’ I laughed 'Ew... so we're thats what we go on like?'

   ‘Amelie, I know this is weird, but as you know, I’ve liked you for years but you’ve only liked me for a while but…’

   ‘I love you, too.’ she smiled and kissed me.