Scarred Hearts

Linnette

I washed my mouth out, spitting into the sink before I wiped my forehead. My stomach churned and I pressed my hand to my belly. I could feel the small swell of my growing child and I swallowed hard. After so many years of being careful, of doing my best to prevent this exact situation from happening, it was hard to grasp what was happening to me. My body was changing and I watched in quiet amazement at the miracle of creating life.

My stomach rolled hard and I gave a small gag, covering my mouth with my hand, fighting back the urge to throw up. I closed my eyes tightly until the nausea passed. Miracle was subjective at the moment. I was having wicked bad morning sickness and it was hard for me to keep food down. Not to mention my mood swings.

The wave of nausea passed and I left the bathroom slowly. My neck ached and I rubbed at it with a slight wince. Ollie looked over at me from his place on the bed. "Come here." He patted his lap and I found myself crawling across the bed to lay down with my face buried in his stomach. He gave a small chuckle as I wrapped my arms around him, holding him tightly. "Where does it hurt?" His voice was soft and rumbling and I wanted to wrap it around myself and hide in those tones forever.

"My neck and between my shoulders." I mumbled it against his skin and nuzzled closer to him, letting his soft sandalwood scent envelop and relax me. He moved my braid out of the way and his rough and calloused hands started massaging my neck. I shivered at the heated feeling it gave me before I let out a groan as he massaged the aches away.

I relaxed into him further as his hands slowly made their way up and down my neck and my shoulders. I felt nearly boneless as his hands started moving further down my back, his stomach flexing as he bent over slightly to reach. "Are you going to fall asleep?"

I made a faint noise in my throat before I tilted my head so I could look up at him. "Depends on if you keep doing that." My eyelids felt droopy and I gave him a small smile. He returned it and it made my heart flutter. He stopped his massaging before he pulled my arms from around him and gestured for me to move up. I gave a small groan and stuck my bottom lip out but shifted so I was lying partially on his chest like he wanted.

His deft fingers started to massage my lower back and my hips and I gave a small moan of appreciation as I closed my eyes. I truly adored my male, he was everything that I hadn't realized I wanted or needed. He was soft and sweet and so kind that just being near him made me feel like a mushy ball of love. His heart beat strong in his chest and I was comforted by the soft pounding.

"When are you going to tell Sorrel?" The question was innocent enough but it made me stiffen and my heart lurch unpleasantly in my chest. I was half afraid that it would make the nausea return full force.

"I don't think I should bother her with something like this right now." I was being evasive, I knew I was but I didn't really want to discuss it. "She and Arlo are needing time to bond. I don't want to interrupt that with my issues." The thought of telling Sorrel about the pregnancy made a surge of anxiety wash through me.

"Having a baby isn't an issue, love, its a natural part of life." His voice was calm and even as he continued to rub at my back, working out the tension that had accumulated over the day. "Alpha Sorrel loves you, deeply. She will be excited about the news of our baby." He was smiling, I knew he was. A soft smile of pride that he always got when confronted about the pregnancy. It was so easy for him to accept, so easy for him to feel that pride. Not that I didn't, it was just... hard for me at times.

Shame coated me slightly and Ollie paused in his motions. "You have been hiding this from me for a while, Linnette. Please tell me what's wrong." There was no demand to his voice, no command. It was a soft plea for me to share my burdens and I felt guilty for how I felt, for my insecurities. He had suffered so much in his life and my problems felt so minuscule compared to them.