Chapter 1

Neither Trainer
-
-
-
"Happy Birthday to you Red and Blue, Happy Birthday to you!"

The enthusiastic crowd finished singing and cheered wildly as they waited for the two young children to blow out the multiple candles as tradition has it.

The two kids smiled at each other for a few seconds and high five each other as they blew out their candles together, they've known each other since they were toddlers, and ever since they've had their birthday parties celebrated in the middle area of their two houses.

"You're already 9! You two grow up so fast..." Delilah muttered out, her eyes shining with emotion.

The two boys simply smiled and ran off to open their presents, not minding much for the cake that was just in front of them, which was both vanilla and chocolate with cookie bits and strawberries, Happy Birthday written in three different colors. Their competitiveness was far higher than their hunger right now. They always tried to best the other in anything and everything, but both knew it was all for the fun of it. Neither could dislike the other, even if they really wanted to.

"Hey! Wait up!" Blue called out to Red, who simply turned around and stuck his tounge out slightly in mockery, which made Blue gasp and run even quicker than he thought possible.

When they finally got to their gift tables they frantically opened their gifts, it was easy to tell whose was whose. The invitations specified to use red and green (blue if there wasn't any green) wrapping only.

Red's first gift was an eight inch Pikachu Pokédoll, which he gasped quietly at the sight and hugged tightly. What made it even better was that it was from his friend Blue.

"You're such a sucker for that mouse Red! It's not even that cool, he's just a fat fur ball!" Blue pointed out and released a small laugh. Red simply just narrowed his eyes and hugged the toy closer.

"Glad you like it though, took me forever to find it." Rolling his eyes Blue continued with the remaining wrapping in his hand and lifted the top of the box, it was a pendant. "That's from me." Red said in almost a whisper.

A simple teardrop shaped pendant, yet he loved it.

He put it on quietly, he had always been a fan of water types, he understood what the small necklace meant right away. It was perfect. He bit his lip, what, no way, was he crying?

"Look who's emotional now." Red mumbled quietly, as the other huffed and looked away in embarrassment.

"Thanks Red."

••• (-o-) •••

They spent the rest of their birthday opened their different gifts from their family and friends, after a while they snuck into Red's house, to play the SNES when no one was looking. Everyone was distracted by Red's mom showing the people their childhood pictures and comparing them with this years photographs.

Normally the two would be a little bashful, but it served as a good distraction for them.

Once inside Blue and Red spent a long while playing, cheering and groaning in disappointment when they'd lose.

"You know something Red?" Blue asked him as he now played Donkey Kong Country with his close friend, Red has chosen to be Diddy of course. His signature hat was something the shiny raven haired boy admired.

The boy moved his eyes from the TV screen the now nine year old light brunette next to him, hummed in response, as if asking "What Blue?".

Sometimes Red talked, sometimes he didn't. That was okay, Blue was used to it. Most emotion comes from the eyes anyways.

He grinned at him and continued, "I'm glad we were born on the same day, you're my best friend Red."

° ° °

To clear up confusions:

Gave Red's mom the name Delilah, which is similar to Delia since that's Ash's mom's name. Since they're similar I figured, why not?

Blue and Red have the same birthday because of their release dates. I figured to make them have the same birthday as well for the heck of it, sounds cute doesn't it?

Surprisingly found myself typing Green instead of Blue a lot, so if I ever decide to swap names don't get confused sorry, I'll probably slip sometimes. So yeah, expect that change probably. I was tryna be American and failed slightly..