"Pepperpelt's death was unfortunate, and ThornClan grieves for her loss. I ask for hunting rights peacefully, as a plea to you, Snowstar. My clan is going hungry, and our Queens have little milk." Snowstar's ears flattened against his head as he turned to stare Pebblestar in the eyes defiantly. 

      "You seem well fed yourself, Pebblestar, for a cat leading a hungry clan." 

      Thornclan's deputy, Eelstrike, stood hissing venom up at Snowstar, "Your mind must be fading as quickly as your strength, you old flea-bag!" 

      Venomsight broke from the crowd of RainClan cats to stalk menacingly towards him, claws unsheathed. Nightbreeze stopped in front of him, hissing, keeping the two apart before they leapt on eachother. The entire clearing seemed to erupt in chaos, cat turning on cat. Scarpaw felt a rising panic that a fight would break out any second, but it was then that thunder broke loudly across the sky, shaking the stones and casting fearful silence through the crowd. Dark clouds threatened to cover the moon, and each cat watched, no one daring to move until the clouds slowly parted and the thunder became a distant growl, reminding each cat of their peaceful truce.

        Pebblestar spoke first, "I'll let you think on my words, Snowstar, and expect an answer at the next gathering. StarClan has shown they wish to leave the topic undiscussed for now." 

         "Yes, and MapleClan has yet to be given their turn," Tanglestar spat, her tail lashing in anger behind her. Snowstar bowed his head in respect, but it didn't seem to calm her frustrations at all. 

    "My apologies, Tanglestar. You may speak."

       Snorting in defiance, Tanglestar began with updates on Two-legs spotted in the forest, and plentiful growth thanks to new-leaf. The dense forest of maple trees and bramble the MapleClan cats called home was an ideal spot for a clan, with plentiful prey and shade, and Tanglestar made it her business to tell every cat about it. Scarpaw's attention started to falter as she messed with a small stone under her paws and smoothed down her rising chest fur. Even with the peaceful truce declared by StarClan on the night of a Gathering, the previous quarrel reminded her of how fragile the peace really was. One cat could summon the wrath of StarClan with a single swipe of their paw. It was Tangelstar's final words, however, that shook Scarpaw from her state of anxiety about the quarrel with ThornClan.

        "I'm also proud to announce that one of our apprentices, my apprentice, has become a warrior. She will now be welcomed as Hawkheart, a noble and courageous warrior our clan is proud to have." Mews of respect broke out through the cats, but Scarpaw could only gape up, eyes wide. She instantly scanned the crowd to find MapleClan parting, revealing Hawkheart in the center, staring proudly up at the high stone where her mentor stood. Cats were calling out her name, and Scarpaw joined in, a warm happiness creeping from her paws to her tail tip. Her sister had become a warrior, and a strong one, too. Her muscles showed through her thick pelt, and Scarpaw found herself bounding towards the crowd to try and get close. 

        "Hawkheart!", she called, hoarsely trying to reach her sister through the crowd."Hawkheart, here!" 

      The lean she-cat looked around, obviously startled by Scarpaw's voice, and their eyes met for a moment that felt like a whole moon. Hawkheart's expression was difficult to read. Scarpaw could see shock, confusion, and a hint of something she couldn't describe hidden deep in her amber eyes. When Scarpaw tried to push closer however, her view of Hawkheart was blocked by an overwhelming crowd of MapleClan cats. Their scent was confusingly familiar to her, and she felt uncomfortable at how friendly she felt around these strangers. Hearing Woodpaw's voice from behind her, Scarpaw fought every urge to push through the crowd and turned to the brown apprentice, still dazed. He looked at her with determination. 

      "Scarpaw, what are you doing? Come on, apprentices have to stay close to their mentors while the leaders are speaking." She could tell he was worried about Venomsight, and nodded, following him back towards the RainClan patrol, dragging her tail in disappointment. She had missed the last of Tanglestar's announcements, and Crowstar was calling the Gathering to an end. Snowstar exchanged one final threatening look towards Pebblestar before bounding down the high, jagged stones to join his clan. His fur was slightly ruffled, and he stalked to the center of his patrol as the other clans prepared to leave.

      "Suntail, Webear, join me in the front as we go back to camp. Everyone else, follow me- we're going home." He burst through the bushes, the rest of the clan climbing up the ravine after him, but Scarpaw stopped herself before following them into the thorny bushes. Gazing across the clearing to where MapleClan was disappearing through the bramble, she caught sight of Hawkheart standing alone on a flat stone near the small pool. The two sisters locked eyes, and Scarpaw took in the sight of her sister as much as she could. They looked so much alike, it was almost like looking at her reflection in a puddle after a morning shower. Hawkheart's amber eyes burned into Scarpaw's, who returned the stare with a deep longing hidden in her own green slits.
      Without a single flick of her tail or a twitch of her whiskers, Hawkheart turned and ran off through the thick bushes, leaving Scarpaw alone under the full moon, feeling lonelier than ever before.