Michigan

I was abruptly awoken by the sound of a school bell. I jump and fall off my bed that they gave me. They meaning a group of teachers who created a school for people like us. People who have special abilities, a defect, superpowers? Heck, I don't even know at this point.

"Good morning children," said a voice on the announcer, it's male and low. "I hope you all slept well and are ready for a busy day. You will find your tasks and duties in a folder on a table in your dormitory. I hope you all have a wonderful day at Lyon Academy."

"Hey, you okay Michigan?" My friend Daniel asks looking at me. He offers a hand and I thankfully take it.

"Yeah" I say getting up. "We better get ready."

"I've got first dibs on shower" Stephen says before going into the bathroom.

"I'll go next" Daniel says as he starts rummaging through his bag. "Hey, do you remember what our classes were? I think we had some kinda band, P.E., science, and Math."

"You think it's going to be boring with the same group of people everyday? I believe we stay together as Group A" I say trying to find my scarf. I can't seem to find it, I'll leave it for today.

"Yeah. That's what I was told. We might have a good time"

•••

Once I'm ready and dressed. I walk into the commons room for our group, only to find it empty. Daniel and Stephen are still doing their morning stuff so I'll just explored the room.

There are tons of books in the shelves with a TV in the middle. A small kitchen is next to the door with normal kitchen appliances. There is one item I couldn't understand.

It's lying on the counter, next to the sink. It looks like a blue crystal. It's glowing. I pick it up and inspect it by tasting it.

It reminds me of salt. I also feel a sharp sting, similar to a shock.

"No wonder genius," says a voice behind me. I turn around to see Stephen. "It probably came from a cave that had salt deposits. Also, why the hell would you taste something that you haven't even seen before?"

"Why do you go into other people's minds without permission?" I ask as Daniel comes in. I put the crystal in my pocket.

"It's fun. I can tell their secrets and their private thoughts," he says as if I would have done it for the same reasons.

"Man. That's rude" I say as all three of the girls walk in. Stephen tries to look like he's not offended. Hmm don't wanna look like a jack in front of the girl huh?

"Good morning," Daniel says trying to lighten the mood. "How'd you girls sleep?"

"Pretty good," says a girl with brown, long hair. I think her name is Ava. "Have you guys read the folder yet?"

"No. I thought we might want to do it as a group," I say before Stephen snorts and tries not to laugh. What a guy.

"Worder full idea, let's get started," Short-Hair says walking over to the table with the folder. I smirk at Stephen, he scoffs and looks away.

She picks it up, opens it and reads the instructions out loud. "Ahem. You are to report to the auditorium at 8:00 to be tested and see how stable your powers are. We will use this data to help put your group into levels of skill."

"What time is it?" Daniel asks looking at me.

I check my watch. "Oh crap! It's 7:55" I sprint to the door and try to run into it so that I bust it. That didn't happen.

I hit the door head on and fall to the ground, stunned and looking like a idiot I blink a few times. I hear everybody but Daniel laughing.

"Dude. You know doors have handles that open right?" He says looking at me with utter embarrassment. He offers me a hand and pulls me up.

"It should have busted open," I say trying to open the door using the handle. "What the heck? It won't budge."

"Step back. Let me do it" Stephen says walking to the door and smiling from my act of stupidity. He jiggles the handle and tries his hardest to open it. Daniel tries after  him, but to no avail.

"While you three baboons are trying to open the door, us girls are leaving with Ava." Short-Hair says behind us. We all turn around to find that the girls are leaving through one of Ava's portals. It's dark purple and full of swirls.

"Oh," I say as Short-Hair exits through the portal. We proceed to follow suit and go through.

As soon as my whole body goes through I feel an instant headache come on. I walk out with my hand on my head groaning. I look up and find that we ended up in the auditorium. It's like a normal gym that has been turned into a lab that has light blue liquid tubes.

"You okay?" A voice says beside me. The voice is very quiet and barely audible. It's the other girl: Anise.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." I say as the speaker comes on.

"Hello everybody! Welcome to the second test. You passed the first test relatively easy. This room won't be as easy. Try and escape without being found by the guards that are being released now." There's a loud sound of doors being opened, which echoes across the whole building.