Chapter 1: Welcome to Jrussia

My name is アキ (Ah-key) (Dan-shov) and I want you to imagine this, the whole world torn by war, anarchy everywhere. The world powers; Japan, Russia, England, America, Iraq, Afghanistan, Brazil, and Spain, all fighting each other, the weapons used are nuclear, and the bodies pile up each day, if they are lucky, most are incinerated. Finally after eighty-nine years, almost ninety, the governments of each of the warring countries decide to write a document declaring world peace. Thats where we are now, 400 years after WWIII, in a socialistic world that has remained in Utopia since the signing of the La Paz Mundial, world peace document. Here is how everything works, more or less. When you are born, you must be non deformed, or else you will be taken to a laboratory and you will be replaced with a different child. Once you are at the age of three you begin schooling. You are taught mathematics, science, civics/history, english and/or Jrussin (more on that later), physical education, and finally home ec. Once you are fifteen, you finish high school and go on to your job. A few of the many jobs you can have are government positions, teaching, vehicle manufacture, and many others. Once you are twenty-five you must chose your wife/husband. Here's how that works, all men/woman at that age are sent a telegram with a small sphere attached, that sphere shows all of the women/men that are capable of marriage and you chose one and send it back and you get a letter telling you who he/she is. You get married have kids and then it starts over. It is almost like a pure communism. That is of course if you survive choosing day. What is choosing day? It's only the day that will decide your entire life! A person will come to your school or workplace and everyone there will line up in a row and he or she will pick a few of them. After that they and their families are never seen again.

Let me reintroduce myself, My name is アキ , I am 23, and I have a job as a history teacher at the high school in New Tokyo in a high class community. I have a secondary job as a hunter for my family's store. New Tokyo is a modern city with hover trains, roads, and large business corporations and houses. Now I should probably get to the story, well it all started at my school, about 7th period, when the announcement came on saying "All students and Faculty report to gym 3 for choosing day." All of the students murmured to each other, "Who do you think will be chosen?" "Oh my god, I hope they don't choose me!" "What do you think happens to them?" "Why the hell do we have to do this?" "In America, they used to never have these!" I had some of the same thoughts. I had two more years to go until I could get married, I wanted to stay here. "Maybe they send them to one of the Mars colonies, or the Moon's. It doesn't mean they are killed." I suggested. Some of the students seemed less tense, some of them looked at me funny, and my prize student, Rebecca, looked at me hopefully. "Come on, let's get going." Some of the students groaned, and others walked slowly, terrified of what might await them, the richer ones walked smugly, believing that they could never be chosen. When we arrived at the gym the other classes arrived and lined up, the representatives went around and listed peoples' names on their clipboards.

"Jennifer Cruz, Amy Toothaker, Erial Itō, Grace Strong, Rosè Amane, and Rebecca Ragus." Rebecca's eyes widened in terror, as did mine.

"Wait! This has to be a mistake!" Rebecca said "I-I'm at the top of my class! I-I this can't happen!" the choosers glared at her and back to me.

"This child should have been prepared to be chosen, just like the others. She is failed." I was filled with rage and terror at the same time. "Mr. Danshov, would you like to take her place?"

Letting out a sigh I answered "No sir, take Rebecca."

"Good. Now where were we? Ah yes, come with us." the chosen left, terror in their eyes, all hope lost, almost like a lamb waiting to be slaughtered. I held back a yell as a tear dripped out of my eye. "Come class let's go..." I looked over and saw Mrs.Nakamura and her class leaving. "Let's go to class." I said, the students nodded, some breathing sighs of relief others obviously annoyed that they had to attend, Rebecca's friends were attempting to hide tears to no avail.

"M-Mr. Danshov?"

"Yes," I replied "What is it?"

"I-I want to go home. May I please?" I felt the same way

"I'll go call your parents after I talk to the main office. Ok?"

"Thank you sir!" as she surpassed a tear, one of the richer students laughed.

"You really are a idiot, you can't handle choosing day?! It's a wonder you haven't died of a heart attack!"

Glaring at the boy I stated, "When you are chosen, who will be crying?" Stunned the boy tried to think up a retort.

"I-um, but hey!" The girl smiled, and I felt better, but I was worried about Rebecca. Finally after 8th period, it was time to leave. I went to the hover train station and took the train home.

This may sound boring, but something very important happened on that train ride home. As I got to my seat, a young lady came to sit next to me. She had red hair in a long pony-tail, had black glasses, and was clutching a suitcase close to her chest. She looked away as she sat next to me. Our train departed from the station.

After about two minutes, the woman turned, revealing her unnaturally turquoise eyes, and said "I know you want to know what is in the suitcase. I'll tell you, it's a government project."

I looked at her blankly. "Who-"

"My name is Angela, you are?"

"Aki Danshov," clearing my throat "Teacher of history at Amika High School."

"Hello Mr.Danshov, if you'll excuse me, I need to leave." I thought to myself, "She's in a big hurry." I returned to my home and went to sleep.

Later that night I heard a ringing on my door bell, strange, considering only family and government agents ring. I put a shirt on and went to answer the door to find that it was Angela.

"Aki! I need you to go to the park at 5:30 AM, got that?" I stared blankly. It was so late that the solar panels hadn't turned on the lights.

"Angela? Why? I mean it's," checking my watch. "12:01, wait, 12:02 in the morning!" She shook her head, and looked around her.

"Look, I really need someone I can trust. Please, do this for me?" I thought about it.

"I guess I'll do it..." She immediately perked up

"Thank you Aki! I need to go. See you then!" I stood there scratching my head, as she ran down the street.