Chapter 34

“…and then I cut his head off, just sliced it right into two! And I’m telling you, his face looked hilarious! Like he couldn’t believe that I had actually killed him over a piece of bread….”

The group surrounding me broke out into laughter and I begrudgingly followed along. Although I wasn’t listening to half the things this Duke of Bradshire was saying, I could get the gist of it: a rich noble killing a peasant. An innocent man who supposedly tried to steal a piece of bread for his starving family. I looked around me at all the extravagantly dressed people, smiling in delight at the Duke’s story. I forced my lips to turn up slightly as the partygoers glanced at me, seeking out any flaws in my demeanor.

But what I really wanted to do was slap the smirk off of that arrogant Duke’s face. These people think they are above everyone, that they are God’s gift to this world. Someone needed to show these noblemen and woman that they weren’t above people just because they had wealth.

The only thing stopping me though, was the presence of Drake breathing down my neck. He hadn’t left my side all night. Instead, he dragged me from table to table to “socialize”. But his idea of socializing was sickening. But I knew I couldn’t, Drake had made me promise not to embarrass him. So I stood quietly by his side zoning out.

Sometimes my eyes would be drawn to the dance floor longing for it. Growing up I had always loved dancing. My father had taught me every dance he knew, and I would practice for hours until I perfected them. I knew all the common dances and footsteps, and I would go to all the local dances in barns in my old town. I remember the feeling of just getting lost in the dance, twirling with all you heart. It was nice in a way watching the couples waltz around the dance floor. It took my mind off the pointless chatter with these imbeciles.

But thinking of dancing also brought great heartache. The last time I had been dancing was at the ball where Drake ambushed. The people who were formerly dancing their night away were slaughtered In cold blood by Drake’s forces. That was the night I was ripped away from my life.

One person caught my eye as I watched the dancers. The light prince was on the floor twirling around a pretty brunette. He looked down at her as she pressed her voluptuous breasts against her chest. Although he was respectful and didn’t leer down at her I still felt slightly embarrassed for watching them.

 I glanced down at my own chest, suddenly self-conscious. My breasts were a decent size, but no where near as big as the brunettes. And I know how much men love well-endowed chests, as Drake is proof with his obsessiveness over always touching mine. I looked back at the dancing duo to see that Xavier has put more space between the two. This makes me happy that he has realized that most of these women just want him for an advantageous marriage. I would hat to see the only man who has showed me compassion to be tricked.

Or so I keep telling myself.

“What do you think my love?” Drakes sultry voice suddenly cut through my.

Caught unaware I turn to him in surprise. He is looking at me expectingly.

“Uh, of course my king.” Saying nonsense, hoping that it would make sense in the context of the conversation.