After Thoughts: DNP #1 and the Challenge to Continue Reading

Before reading DNP, I told myself to be fair and be on neutral ground. I told myself it would be unfair to the author if I won't review the whole book honestly, but it's kind of hard to read on when, really, the book itself has too many flaws.

I've read two chapters of DNP #1 and I've already formed reasons why this book was a waste of effort, time, ink, paper, and money.

Reasons:

1) The story is forgettable. It's like Twilight (but Twilight seems so much better now if it's compared to DNP); it's sensational; it's what people talk about; it's a trendy plot that should be copied over and over again; it should be turned into a MOVIE! But just like Twilight, people will have to get over it sooner or later and move on with their lives. I've seen a lot of Twilight books in second-hand bookstores and even heard a lot of my used-to-be-Twilight-hard-fans friends wanting to throw them away already. I mean, really, which part or any book of the Twilight saga do you remember wholeheartedly? I've read book 1. After reading it, I completely forgot what it was all about, except that Edward Cullen was a vampire disco ball.

2) The author knows squat! I don't know if the author has actually lived her life or if she's been trying to hide under a rock. Yikes! She's young! A teen! A person who's supposed to be curious about the world, but she has limited her interests on Koreanovelas, manga and anime. I'm surprised she's only two years younger than me and she's in college now, I guess. DNP is set in a warped, Barney the Gay Dinosaur-lalaland version of the Philippines and with college student characters that don't even really do anything related to college or even know what it's like to be a college student. She's like Garrett in the movie Flipped. When Bryce Loski asked Garrett what a rooster looks like:

Bryce: Is that a rooster?

Garrett: Nah, that looks like a chicken.

Bryce: How do you know?

Garrett: It just does.

Do you guys see what I mean? When you're 19, you should at least know the few basic technicalities in life, like what happens when you try to apply for a job or how society pushes a person to be at least courteous when in public, and not act like a loon in a store like NBS.