"Good boy" He mumbled.

"Who is a good boy?"

Her question echoed in his head loud.

"I am"

He answered along with voice in his head.

Manik shook his head as if had just realized something very significant.

"What I am?" Major asked and Manik opened his mouth to say something.

"I am a good boy," He mumbled passively.

"Yes you are, Manik," Major said and sighed.

"Sit down," Major asked giving in, "I shall not witness such behavior of yours again."

Manik nodded his head and dived into notebook.

She said he was a good boy, he smiled slightly. She too thought he was a good boy and how important it was to her. He bit his lip and heard Major Khan continuing the lecture. He immediately let go of his sweet mind talk and started to concentrate on class.

"My nerdy cadet is very precious to me"

Her words wandered in his head and he smiled nervously. He started to take every note seriously while her voice didn't leave his mind. He thought there was no way he could do anything without she being there.

_________________

"Well done, cadet," third officer patted Manik's back while leaving the steeplechase arena. Manik smiled formally honoring the compliment. Almost every officer present in drill appreciated his horse-riding skills and he could not wait to tell her. It was consequent third day when she hadn't come to academy. Only he knew how he was holding on. He couldn't sleep in nights. He had mastered the tricks she had defeated him in. He wanted to be around her when she wasn't around. He didn't know why would she not come. She seemed normal when she dropped him to his bed that night. What happened then?

He had asked Colonel Singh after gathering all his courage. He too didn't know. He called Murthys but servant told they were busy as Nandini's brother was home. She didn't like to be around them. Then why would not come? Manik pondered looking towards entry of arena.

"Come on, bro," Harshad wrapped his arm across Manik's neck and started to drag him out of arena.

"I have been a good boy," Manik mumbled lowly looking down. Harshad undid his clasp around his shoulder and halted.

"You are," He agreed and saw it wasn't something casual. Manik was constantly looking down while walking.

"She might be really very busy," Harshad tried to comfort his sad friend.

"She doesn't like to be around her family," Manik answered looking up. His eyes showed this never seen before storm. It looked like he would break down any moment. Harshad didn't know how to console his friend.

"Maybe she couldn't escape," Harshad tried to reason.

"There is nothing she cannot do," Manik answered lowly and continued walking. Harshad matched his steps.

"See Manik, I don't mean to hurt you but I think we should talk about it," Harshad said halting Manik in place.

Manik looked at him keenly waiting for him to speak up. Harshad didn't know how to word his concern. He had never seen Manik this affected and it was scaring him now.

"She had come here for a temporary job, right?" Harshad started and Manik pursed his lips in anger totally getting what Harshad was going to say.

"No, No, listen to me first," Harshad requested holding Manik's elbows.