Part Twenty Seven

Emma felt as though she was kissing a wet fish. It was both impersonal and very wrong. But it was her job, and she was nothing if not professional, so as the director called out instructions, she obliged, swooning against him, letting him pull her close, and allowing his lips to devour hers. He moaned against her lips, and she kept her eyes closed until the director shouted “cut!”

Pulling back she took a deep breath then looked at Theo, “nice of you to finally show your face.”

He grinned what Emma presumed was his boyish grin that had no doubt broken many a heart in the past, “been busy! And hey, all publicity is good publicity!”

She stared at him, “you mean you orchestrated all this?”

He laughed, “I want this show to do well, so us being seen around town is good.”

Furious she stormed past him and towards her dressing room.

He was so conceited, he’d used her and her naivety to create gossip about this TV show, there was no regard for her life, her career. Did she give that up when she’d signed the contract to be part of this show? For the first time she thought about Jacob, and wondered what he was thinking, after all that had happened she’d hate to hear that he was cavorting with someone else via the tabloids, that was an awful thing to read...again...not that there was anything between her and Theo, but it seemed he was happy with the world believing there was. This was all so complicated.

Sighing she pulled on her own clothes, grabbed her bags and made to leave the studio for the night, she had a cab booked to take her home, but it wasn’t due for another half an hour...the studios were only a few blocks away from Rodeo Drive, and as she’d had a large pay check that weekend she was keen on shopping, something to take her mind of her anger...and embarrassment that still pained her after the recent revelations, and people’s reactions to it. Buying herself some Hollywood glam, and maybe dinner at that awesome cheesecake place would cheer her up!

As she reached the gates her plan for a quiet exit dissolved when she saw a glut of photographers poised writing for any snap shots they could steal. Theo must be used to this, but she wasn’t, and she hated being perceived as the latest in a long line of lovers for the Oscar nominee. Stepping back into the protection of the buildings she took a few deep breaths, how the hell was she going to make it past these? She’d cancelled the cab, so she headed for the reception, but the security guard was less than helpful. Exasperated she headed outside once more, and saw the photographers snapping away at each passing car. On foot she’d be stuck in the middle of them and she didn’t think she’d manage to escape. At that second she spotted Theo’s car...or rather Theo’s driver cutting across the car park towards the gate, his tinted windows would at least help her.

                “Jump in, I’ll shout you dinner. Seeing as how I’m your public enemy number one!”

She was still angry with him, and told him that as she slid into the rear seat and shied away from the window.

The car stopped a few blocks away at a restaurant and Theo led her quickly inside. Secluded in a booth at the back of the room he relaxed, “you need to chill over all this Emma, I mean any publicity for you will only benefit your career.”

                “I’m hoping that my performance will do that for me, I’m not wanting to hang on your coat tails!”

He laughed, “this is a cut throat world, and it won’t be long until you’re eating those sentiments, mark my words. Now what do you want to eat?”