Part Twenty Two

“What do you mean Jacob is there? At your parents?” Isobel hissed down the phone. “Really?”

Emma groaned, “I only wish this was a dream Iz, I came here, and he was having tea with them! There’s no way I can meet you later. I’ll call you in the morning, tell you what’s happening. Have a good evening!”

Isobel sighed, worried more than ever about her friend, “I will. Make sure you do call though, ok?”

Hanging up, Emma slumped back into the dining chair and closed her eyes, wishing someone would lift her out of her living hell. Her mother’s ridiculous smelling salts still lingered in her nostrils, and she couldn’t get the image of Jacob’s smiling face as she came around from what she could only make out was a faint. He had that smarmy, overconfident look on his face, she’d wanted to retaliate, scream abuse at him, but either side of his head her focus was starting to make out the concerned faces of her parents.

God her parents! What the hell was Jacob doing?

                “Are you okay darling?” He asked running his fingers across her forehead, “you are always making everyone worry.” He then turned and raised his eyebrows at her parents in a gesture of conspiracy, and it made Emma’s blood boil. Pushing him away she brought herself up to standing, staggered slightly, then realised she’d literally fallen out of the frying pan and into the fire. Her parents’ expression had moved from concern to disappointment, and she hated that.

                “Mum.”

Her mother nodded, “why didn’t you tell us?”

Emma gulped; she had no idea what Jacob had told them so she had no idea how to respond to that. As she floundered, Jacob’s hand slid around hers and he pulled her beside him, “Mrs...” he paused then half chuckled, “Mavis, Dennis, please...I told you she never wanted to keep it from you, but it all happened so quickly, didn’t it?”

Emma felt as though she was disappearing underwater, drowning, slowly and painfully. She looked up at him wanting to scratch at his face, but he’d created a pretence to her parents that she has to go along with.

Jacob smiled, “I told them you were nervous, you felt foolish rushing things, but really it’s what we both want. Marriage, isn’t it?”

Her smile was plastered on, but she scowled at him with her eyes. At that moment she hated him more than anything.

Jacob continued, “I told them how we met, that you repeatedly swept me off my feet, that I couldn’t imagine life without you!” He beamed at her parents, then down at her, “It may seem sudden, but...” He squeezed her hand and Emma fought the desire to pull her hand away.

Her mother was gushing over Jacob, she’d not seen her mother so pliable in years, but then the objective part of her had to admit that Jacob all suited and booted was a formidable sight, and a million miles from the man who collected breakfast on a pushbike. She yelped internally at her materialistic response, but she couldn’t help it.  

                “So he’s still there?” Isobel was speaking in hushed tones.

                “Oh yes!” Emma groaned, “they love him, he loves them...they want us to stay the night! Us!”

A peal of laughter came down the phone and it only compounded Emma’s sadness at the situation, “thanks friend!”

                “Sorry, I shouldn’t laugh, but he’s winning me over with his persistence. You bringing him to the wedding?”