Happy Birthday - Hitsukarin

A/N I think this ship is super cute and I wish they had actually met in Bleach, not in filler episodes.

It was a clear day in May. Karin was out playing soccer with her friends. Her and Yuzu's birthday was coming up. They were going to be turning 14. Yuzu had insisted on having a party.

"Well, guys. I have to go. Yuzu wants me home early to help with the planning," Karin said. The guys waved to her as she picked up her soccer ball and left. When she got home, Rukia and her sister were looking at different decorations for the party. Rukia had come to help with and attend the party, so she was staying with the Kurosakis.

"Chappy streamers! They're a must!" Rukia said and Yuzu agreed. They were a lot alike.

"Oh, Karin! Can you help with the invitations?" Yuzu asked.

"Sure," Karin said. She sat down with Orihime who was currently writing invitations with her swoopy and pretty handwriting. Karin started writing invitations, too. She pitied whoever ended up with her awful invitations. Her handwriting looked like chicken scratching's. She looked down the list. They were all people she and Yuzu knew. They ranged from Kisuke and Yoruichi to Ikkaku and Unohana and to Tatsuki and Ryohei (Ichigo had been a lot more open with them after the last war). Karin picked the first name on the list and started writing. She soon reached Matsumoto on the list of people. She wrote down Dear Matsumoto and then paused. She thought of Toshiro for a moment and decided on adding his name. She hadn't seen him in a long time and she kinda missed him. This could be an excuse to see him, although he probably wouldn't come.
Dear Miss Matsumoto and Mr. Hitsugaya. On May 8th, it will be the birthday of the Kurosaki twins. We will be turning 14. We would be delighted if you came for a birthday celebration at 5 pm.
Karin paused again and then added:
Also, free sake will be provided.
Karin Kurosaki
Karin signed her name at the bottom, doing her best to imitate Orihime's swoopy handwriting. She put it in the envelope and set it on the pile. Finally, she had written her last invite which had been to Yoruichi. She finished just in time for dinner, which Orihime had joined in on.

"Wow, Yuzu! This meal is great!" Orihime said.

"Really? I'm glad you think so," Yuzu said, with an awkward smile as Orihime shoved her spaghetti covered in maple syrup and chocolate bits into her mouth. The others were just staring at her in silence.

"Oh Taicho~," a sing song voice said.

"What is it, Matsumoto?" Toshiro asked. Matsumoto entered their office. She was waving something in her hand.

"It's a letter from Karin Kurosaki," Matsumoto said. Toshiro's ears perked at the mention of her name. Karin. He hadn't seen her in years. Why would she send a letter?

"Give it here," he said and took the letter.

"Wait, I wanted to open it. It was addressed to both of us, you know," Matsumoto said. So it wasn't a letter for him only. Toshiro's heart sank a bit, but he shook it off. He opened the letter. He scanned over it quickly.

"Well, what does it say?" Matsumoto asked.

"It's her and Yuzu's birthday party on May 8th," he said. If he remembered correctly, Yuzu was Karin's twin sister. Matsumoto spent the rest of the day pestering him about it, especially when she learned that there would be free booze.

"Oh, we must simply go! They only turn 14 once, you know, and humans age much faster than us. Before we know it, they could have died from old age!" Matsumoto said. Suddenly, the room started to grow colder. Toshiro had stopped working. Matsumoto stopped talking.

"Hm? What's wrong, Taicho?" she asked.

"Nothing, And anyway, leave me alone. I have too much work to do," Toshiro said, as the room started returning to normal. He had felt a certain tightness in his chest at Matsumoto's statement.