Chapter 1, The Beginning of a Disaster (Mia)

Chapter 1, The beginning of a Disaster

"She's absolutely smitten."-Dodie Clark, Absolutely Smitten

Mia Woods

Unlike some people, I don't believe in love at first sight. I believe in love at first share of a cookie. Let me take you back to a time when life was simple.

It was a sunny day. Yes, I remember. Why? I don't know, so stop asking. Anyways, it was in fourth grade, Burkley Penickys Middle school. In the state and city of Orlando, Florida. Little ole' me was sitting at my desk next to my soon to be best guy friend. We had cookies that day; chocolate chip cookies. I and he were the last one to choose a cookie, and he let me have the bigger one. I still remember what I said, and to this very day I still cringe but smile.

"You're nice."

"Thanks!" He responded. "My name's Brent!"

"My name's Mia."

"Let's be friends Mia!" He cheerfully exclaimed.

"The bestest of friends! But first, you have to pinky promise me that we will stay friends." I held out my pinky and we locked pinkies.

That was the story of how I met my best guy friend, Brent Williams. In middle school where cliques matter, but a little less than high school, I was the mutual friend of everyone. But the truth was, I had no friends. I had a brother though. He's two years older than me, and his name is Darryl. Whenever he was in school with me, he acted as though I didn't exist. It always bothered me, since he was a different person out of school. He was himself out of school. In school, he was this jock, whose reputation was more important than his younger sister. Jerk move bro, jerk move. He never associated me with him, since he didn't want to be known as 'the loner's brother'. Karma bit him in the as- I mean butt, sorry. When he was in college he went to UCF (University of Central Florida). He got a sports scholarship there, but later on, he dropped out due to his failing grades. He had the brawn, but not the brains. Speaking of family, there was me, Darryl, my dad, and my mom. My parents are one of the coolest people you will ever meet. My dad is relaxed most of the time, while my mom is an inspirational middle school teacher. She can be very inspirational, and very funny at times.

Now, let's skip ahead to two more years. Sixth grade. The grade where girls actually care about the social cliques and how they look. The grade where boys act---cough cough--- 'try' to act cool. Sixth grade, the grade where I met my best friend, Theodoria Winston, aka Theo. We met in the hallway while waiting for class. We instantly clicked, and now I was known as 'the girl who has a friend'. We soon became partners in crime. Now, it was me, Theo, Brent and another guy. Don't worry about him, Theo will probably tell you who he is.

Let's skip to eighth-grade graduation. Every year at graduation there's a tradition where boys would give their ties to the girl they were crushing on. This was obviously done at the after party (which was chaperoned by a sleeping teacher, and where the food would have been burnt by the lunch ladies) the planner of the party would go on the gym stage and give a few announcements.

Then they would say, "ahem, we would now like to ask the male graduates to give their ties to the person they have a crush on."

Kinda bittersweet if you ask me. You either receive a tie from someone you don't like or someone you do. If you get a tie from someone you like, you're all giddy inside and can't stop smiling. Oh wait, you just remembered you guys aren't going to the same high school. How do you know this? You know this because you were stalking him on all of his social media. Then you internally cry inside that's just how life is, sorry but tough luck. Geez, just realized how much I sound like Theo right now.         -insert noise-

Long story short, he didn't give his tie to anyone. I even asked him if he would, and he said no. Even if he did, it would've been awkward. Imagine, being friends with a guy since fourth grade to eighth grade, then he gives you his tie, meaning he has a crush on you. Yea, that's what I thought. Though even after graduation I knew that all four of us were going to the same high school, so I wasn't that worried. It wasn't until only the day after I found out Theo was leaving, as in leaving Florida. I was devastated, shook, etc. She felt the same way, I offered to hang out with her sometime during the summer but said that she couldn't. I found that weird. I always asked her to hang out, but she would always say something was in the way, or she couldn't. Never found out why until this year.

Now we're in high school. Besides school (which was easy for me) life was hard. Fate was being stupid and still is being stupid. This year is the beginning of a disaster.