The Rathmore Rambler

Start from the beginning

He looked back at the Rathmore Rambler who - being something of a traditionalist - was by now snorting and pawing the ground furiously as a prelude to a second assault.

When Ulysses looked back to where the Zworg had landed, he was just in time to see it scramble in a rather, ungainly fashion over a barbed wire fence and flee into a nearby hazel copse. Its natural agility somewhat hampered by the fact that the Ramblers direct hit amidships was also just where male Zworgs stowed the family jewels so-to-speak.

For the time being any matadorial instincts it may have entertained were firmly, if not literally, suppressed.

The two cows whinnied in delight and trotted up to the Rambler like a couple of demented autograph hunters. Sensing that his luck might be in, the Rambler carried on doing his raging bull routine in order to maximize any brownie points that might be available.

All was well.

Ulysses went over and gently lifted up Big Tom who was only gradually regaining his senses....

He cradled him in his arms.

"Poor Puss"

Big Tom winced in pain. Some of his ribs were broken and one side of his body was badly gashed by the Zworgs talons.

"You're hurt. I'd better get you up to the house"

When Ulysses had carefully placed Big Tom on a cushion next to the range he bolted the door and waited anxiously for Larry to return.

Before too long he heard a car approaching. Soon Larry and Paddy Prenderghast screeched to a halt in Paddy's souped-up Ford Zephyr. Paddy who was the combined local blacksmith, digger contractor and diesel doctor had met Larry on the road.

Following the win on Billy, Larry was flush with cash and keen to get his tractor fixed as soon as possible. Not least because of the need to find a better hiding place for Ulysses's escape pod. They had decided to tow Larry's broken down tractor over to Paddy's so he could have a proper look at it. Larry had left Maurice parked in at the side of the road.

People who met Paddy Prenderghast for the first time could well believe why there were so many tales about giants in Irish folklore. Paddy was a veritable giant. Shaking his hand for the first time your own hand would simply seem puny and insignificant as it disappeared into the vastness of his huge mitt. His hands seemed nearly as big as the shovels of one of his own diggers. He was also immensely strong. Larry had once seen him pick up the engine block of a small tractor with one hand and casually carry it across the yard as if it was only a basket of eggs.

Ulysses was more than a little reassured to be introduced to such a formidable ally as his own small hand was enveloped and disappeared within Paddy's vigorous handshake. Fortunately Paddy was generally a very gentle giant and was acutely aware of his own strength. The firm squeeze he gave Ulysses' hand only hinted vaguely at the power at his disposal. Even the tips of his fingers were as thick as sausages and his arms looked as if they were fashioned from the sinews of some ancient oak. He had muscles in places were other people didn't even have places.

"We'd better have a look at this poor cat." said Larry as he placed Big Tom gently on a clean towel on the kitchen table.

Ulysses had related the whole story - emphasizing Big Tom's heroism and the crucial role played by Paddy's bull

"Wasn't it a brave thing he did to try and protect Ulysses from whatever it was that thing was. As for that bull of yours it was a good job he broke out when he did."

Larry smiled as he delved around in the medical cabinet. He wasn't going to miss out on the rare opportunity to needle Paddy a bit for the craic. It was a matter of honour among local farmers to keep their fences in good repair to stop animals from straying on to their neighbours land. Still no matter how hard you tried there was no stopping some animals - especially the Rambler.