Chapter One

Chapter One

Come as soon as you can to the residence of Tia Dalma. I have a very important job for you both. I look forward to seeing you soon. 

Yours truly, Tia 

Abigail gave Roz a worried look. Tia Dalma was a fictional character from a movie! There was no way the note she had apparently written was from her. It was impossible. Abigail placed it on the mahogany desk in their dorm room and shrugged. 

“Well, that was odd. I didn’t expect we would get a letter from her!” Abigail snickered, padding over to their window to open it. It was stuffy and she needed some air before she got back to studying for midterms. Roz frowned at her friend in a mocking manner. 

“Oh, stop it! She might be real! You never know!” Roz giggled, teasing. Abigail ran a hand through her silky strawberry blonde hair as she opened the window. 

Both girls suddenly screamed when they were thrown without a warning onto the slimy grass of what looked to be a swamp. Abigail snarled and stood up, spluttering and shaking herself off. “Okay, what in the hell just happened?!” she roared, haughty and furious. Roz stood up, looking bewildered. Yes, what had happened!

“It looks like...like we’re in Tia Dalma’s swamp!” Roz exclaimed, spinning around to get a good look around. Abigail hissed. 

“Of course we would end up here! I hate this place.” Abigail snapped. “Why couldn’t I have ended up on James Norrington’s ship?!” she whined, icy blue eyes narrowed in annoyance. Sapphire shrugged off her fussy friend and waved her to follow. 

“Come on, cranky! Let’s go see if we can find Tia and ask her for help getting out of here. I’m sure she doesn’t want us here that much, either!” Roz pointed out, not a person to be easily angered over such things. It was pretty cool to be in a world she loved! And with her best friend! What more could anyone want?

‘James Norrington, I suppose.‘  Roz thought, watching her fiery tempered friend kick over a small swamp plant. Abigail hissed when it puffed out a reeking cloud of yellow pollen and retreated. 

“Fine. Let’s go.” Abigail agreed, padding along after her friend. 

Roz was in the lead, heading towards the middle of the swamp where she knew they would find Tia Dalma’s house. Abigail’s eyes watched their surroundings as they made their way deeper into the unfamiliar and possibly dangerous new territory. Always expect to be attacked and be happy if you aren’t. That was what the young woman had always deemed the best method. 

“Abigail, look! It’s Tia’s house!” Roz squeaked, pointing excitedly at a reed and wood home build above the grimy water of the swamp. Abigail sniffed disdainfully and stuck her tongue out. 

“Well, isn’t that a sight! Hope we don’t have to stay in that for too much longer than necessary.” 

Roz laughed. “You and Beckett are a better match! He would be complaining, too!” she giggled, grinning at Abigail. The other young woman rolled her eyes. 

“Hey, at least we both know gross when we see it!” she laughed, now standing with Roz at the banking of the water channel. 

“Should we just...swim?” Roz wondered, raising an unsure eyebrow at  Abigail. Abigail scoffed and took a deep breath. 

“WE’RE HERE, WHITCH LADY! AND THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING TO SWIM ACROSS TO YOUR CRUMMY HOUSE! SEND A BOAT OR I’M NOT COMING!” she howled at the top of her lungs. Roz winced. 

“Yep, definitely Beckett’s girl...” 

“Oh, shush! It worked!” Abigail chuckled as the door to Tia’s hut slowly opened to reveal none other than Tia Dalma herself.