Chapter 1 - Looking to the Future

Adam smiled as Jess and Joshua came into the office, "Right on time." He said to his (adoptive) pups, as he cuddled Brook, who was sitting on his lap, grinned in greeting.

"What did you want to talk to us about?" Jess asked. Joshua was finally done with his time at the Academy, and they were sharing the duties again. With the last two graduating, the Academy was now starting it's seventh year at the Pack.

"We wanted to see how you were doing, now that you're done the training." Brook answered.

Joshua nodded, "Glad to be back to one full time job. Having all the training along with trying to help Jess was hard. Now I know what she was complaining about." He had to grin as she swatted him for his last comment, "I am glad we got to go, as there are some ideas we would like to try out to get the pack more efficient, and save some money."

Jess nodded, "We decided to wait till we were both done before doing the changes. One change, is having one on call from noon till midnight and the other midnight till noon. Typically, we will both work days. I prefer mornings, so I will be starting at seven, and work till three, and Joshua prefers later so will work nine till five.

Adam nodded, "Works for me!"

They discussed what they were going to cover. Overall, they were in charge of the pack's buildings. The warehouse and storage areas Shana managed, and officially she reported to them, but rarely did they need to manage her.

The kitchen and common room were being run by Lupita, the Head Chef, and all they had to do to keep her happy was to make sure they didn't run out of cleaning supplies. Lupita dealt with managing the Greenhouse, garden, and getting all the food needed for the pack. Keeping the wolves fed was the largest item on their budget.

When they were done, it was time to see one of their other pups and their mate. Toby and Sam had the duty to keep them safe. Right under them was Zane, who like Adam, was a Turned-Wolf.

But where Adam had found his mate, and she had turned him at his request, Zane had been turned by a Rogue, and of the worst kind, a vesanus, which while regular rogues were insane and had lost their humanities, and usually with that their ability to shift from their wolf, a vesanus maintained a human mind, so had higher reasoning powers, but both parts were insane, and very difficult to kill. This one had taken out several werewolves, including a Next Alpha, and it ended up taking a lucky shot to distract him, a hard wallop with a staff, and still he nearly recovered before Adam could deal the deathblow of removing his head with his sword. He had shrugged off arrows and bullets.

It had taken years for Zane to recover, and even still, he occasionally came and crawled in with the Alphas for comfort. He was quite strong, both mentally, and physically. He had just passed the Spring Trials at the level that is needed for the Seconds or Alphas.  They knew him well, otherwise they would be worried he wanted to take over the pack.

Toby and Sam walked in and curled up on the couch across from them. Toby had a black eye, and when they looked at it, "Hand to Hand with Zane this morning. He got me good." They often sparred together, as it helped hone their skills, although Zane was starting to edge past them in skills. Both were now officially below him, as he had ranked higher, even though on the runs they were only a few minutes slower. They were near equal in the fighting skills. Their pack position was that above Zane, which was setting up for some interesting dynamics. The three had worked it out, and were sharing the leading workload. Although officially they were above Zane, the three work well and treated each other as equals.

Toby and Sam had quietly told Adam and Brook that they were mates, but kept it quiet till the full moon after they turned twenty, although many had thought they were. Robin and Lea had decided to announce it as well to the pack when their friends did. That was a fun moon-night.