<EIGHT>

This chapter is so deep😭

Enrique
No one understands. I have to do this. For her. For our baby. I cocked my gun and put it in my coat. This was just the beginning of a world of hurt he was going to feel. I was about to step out of the van when a familiar secant hit my nostrils. Vanilla and peppermint. Blaire. I took in a deep breath and smiled.

"Enrique," I heard her say.

"My love!" I felt a tear slide down my cheek and my heart melting all over again. "I hear you!"

"He wants my chip. It's a trap! Go home to me! He wants me!"

The second I heard that I jumped in the van and sped to the mansion. How could I be so stupid?

Blaire
I had gotten the message to him just in time. I smiled and looked at Beppo, patting his head. "Good job, boy." There was a swirl of black dust and their appeared Darius. "You."

"Me," he smiled, but suddenly turned serious. "You're going to do it, aren't you?"

"Do what?"

"Leave," he whispered.

"That is the plan," I nodded, walking down the path again.

"I'm sorry that I was the way I was before. I thought it couldn't be done, but now I see...it can. You have a strong connection with your husband. One I never had with my wife."

"You had a wife?"

He nodded. "Darla. She is long gone up to Heaven, but our little Nina still lives."

"How old is she?"

"82 now."

"Oh wow. How old was she when..."

"When I died?"

"Yeah."

He looked down at the path as we walked. "Four."

"Oh my goodness. What happened?"

"Drunk driving accident."

"I hope the driver learned his lesson," I sighed, shaking my head.

"That I did."

I gasped. "It was...you?"

I saw a tear slide down his cheek. "It was me. I regret it every single day. Being here, you never feel happy. Ever. All you feel is sorrow and pain, but when I'm with you I can glimpse just a small piece of being alive again and seeing my Nina. She grew up without a good father and that is my fault. Darla married some bum who lived in Las Vegas and they moved over there."

"I'm so sorry."

"She has midnight black hair and the prettiest blue eyes."

"Your wife?"

"No. Nina. My wife and I didn't have a very good marriage. We were always fighting and that's what led to the accident."

"I see."

"I just want you to know that what I said about no one wanting you to go back was a lie. There are plenty of people rooting for you, including me. I saw what you have on Earth and I was jealous, but now I see that you going back is something worth fighting for. I think family is the most important thing and you have a shot at it."

I smiled up at him. "Thank you, Darius."

"If you don't mind, I'll accompany you to the gates of Thanatos' palace."

"I would like that very much."

"I hope I'm not bad company."

"Never."

Happy New Year🎉