Chapter 20: Discovering Secrets

Começar do início

“Your parents owe my boss money. Big money. Seeing as you’re their only relative, you’re our only means of getting what rightfully belongs to us. You got seven days to collect 50K. If you fail in paying us by the end of this week there will be consequences. And honey? With consequences I don’t mean paying interest,” the man smirked.

“This is my number. Only use it to tell me when and where I can collect the money. I don’t care if you can’t get the money in time. You get one week, sunshine,” he grinned as he dropped a card in her hand before turning around and heading to a black SUV without a license plate.

Jasmine stayed behind petrified, her hands trembling and her heart racing. A shaky breath left her lips once the man drove away. She couldn’t remember a time she’d felt as terrified. Jasmine was a strong person and didn’t often feel fear, but in that moment she’d felt absolutely petrified she was going to die. Realization dawned on her that she no longer wanted to be reunited with her deceased family members. One day her time would come, but she’d recovered her strength and reason to live. There were people that counted on her, that needed her.

The thought should’ve terrified her, but it didn’t. Instead she felt relief that she was no longer alone. She mattered, people cared about her. After feeling useless and lonely for months, it was a damn nice feeling to be needed. Yes, she was still afraid to lose the people she grew to care about, but she would cherish every moment she spent with them.

Her fear ebbing away and anger returning in its place, Jasmine finally moved from her spot and made her way to the car. She needed to get to Lucas as soon as she could. He would know what to do with the threats and find a way to protect her ass. She knew he would do just about anything to keep her safe. Lucas might not have spoken the three little words, but Jasmine knew he had feelings for her. And Lucas was protective of those he loved.

Driving home, Jasmine’s thoughts kept wandering off to the man in black. He looked like he came straight out of an action movie. Was he a gangster? And if he was, what on earth did her parents do wrong? Why would they owe money to bad people? And why come after it all these years later? Jasmine never knew they had any financial trouble. Her grandma didn’t talk about it.

Sighing loudly, she brushed a few loosened strands of hair back behind her ear. As she arrived home, she quickly made her way to Lucas’ room, not even bothering to take off her coat or shoes. Without knocking, she burst into Lucas’ room, only to find it empty. He was still at school. Damn.

Deciding she couldn’t do this without him, Jasmine closed the door and let herself fall backward on top of Lucas’ bed. She’d have to wait until he arrived home, which hopefully would be sooner rather than later.

***

A feather light touch across her cheek awakened Jasmine. Soon, she realized it was Lucas’ fingertips running across her skin, leaving a lingering tingle in its wake. Yawning, she slowly blinked her eyelids open, covering her eyes when light hit her sensitive corneas. As she awoke fully, she noticed the lazy smile across Lucas’ face as he stared at her, his hand on her hip.

“Hi,” Jasmine mumbled softly, still groggy.

“Hi,” Lucas grinned, placing a soft peck against her lips. Jasmine smiled at him, curling into his body as he moved a little closer.

“What are you doing here?” Lucas asked after a moment of silence, his fingers playing with the ends of her hair.

At his question Jasmine’s body tensed, memories of what happened earlier that day resurfacing. Lucas immediately felt the change, his eyebrows raised as he watched her in confusion and concern. “What’s wrong?” he questioned, his voice strained.