Playing With Chance - Chapter 6

Beginne am Anfang

"Your mom wants to send you to live here, so I don't feel so lonely while mom's at work."

He nodded his head once, "Got it.  If anyone asks I'm checking out the school."

"Yes!"

"What have you been up to in my absence?" 

"Well," I said tapping my chin, "I've been worrying my mom, possibly you, and I've been annoying Prick.  I think that about covers it."

He shook his head at me in a mock display of disappointment, "I thought better of you.  You couldn't find two targets?"

I slumped my shoulders, and let my head fall, "I'm sorry.  Nobody else would talk to me after I chose my first one," straightening up I let a smile slip onto my face, "On the bright side, the whole school leaves me alone.  I think they're scared of me or something."

"I wonder why," he replied rolling his eyes.

Prick walked up then, and held out his hand to Elliot.

He looked slightly angry for some reason.  I don't know why.  Maybe it's just me.

Elliot took his hand, and inclined his head slightly in respect, "You must be the renowned Chance Valulfur."

Prick glared at Elliot for a second, but replied in a nice enough voice, "And you must be Elliot."

"Yes, I am," Elliot said ignoring the look he was getting from Prick, "And I would like to extend a formal invitation to the Varcolac's picnic this Sunday."

Prick looked suprised, but adapted a more formal air about him, "I would love to come.  Tell Blade I said thank you."

Elliot bowed his head slightly again.

"Picnic?  Can I come?" I said looking form Elliot to Prick and back again.

"Of course," Prick said looking at me, and smiling, "You can be my guest."

"Yay!" I shouted throwing my arms around Prick.

He hugged me back, but glared at Elliot while he did so.

I stepped back, and sent a glare of my own to Prick, "You really should be nicer to Elliot.  He never did anything to deserve your hard-headed reaction to him."

Looking down at me he let an apologetic look cross his face.

"Say you're sorry for being a dick."

He pouted at me for a second, but turned to look at Elliot, "I'm sorry for being a dick."

Elliot cracked up laughing, "It's okay.  I understand where you're coming from.  I don't hold it against you."

"You do?" Chance asked with disbelief.

"Of course," Elliot said, "You made it very obvious.  I respect your... feelings, and would like to say good luck."

I was confused.

What are they talking about?

"Prick?  What does he respect?" I asked with pleading eyes.

He just shook his head at me, "Not telling."

"Elliot?"

"Don't look at me.  It's something he's going to have to tell you."

I was going to protest their keeping me out of the loop more, but the first bell rang.

"We need to go get you checked in," I grumbled, sending them both dark looks.

Today was turning out to be strange, to say the least.