Chapter 9

Harry stood on the exquisite balcony, with an extraordinary view of the Hogwarts grounds. He could see almost everything from the particular angle in which the platform was placed. Hagrid's hut door was open, and the game keeper himself was sat kneeling sowing what looked like pumpkin seeds, the silky black dog by his side. Fang barked occasionally at passing crows and birds, which were flying over the forbidden forest. Harry focused on one particular bird, an ebony raven whose velvet wings looked glossy in the afternoon rays of sunlight. It swooped gracefully over the tall colossal blanket of trees. It seemed free, untroubled, the opposite of what Harry was feeling at the moment. The black lake was just about in eye sight of where Harry was standing. The inky waters reminded him of the raven's wings, which had now flown out of sight.

Harry heard gentle footsteps approaching behind him, but felt no need to turn around and arm himself with the Phoenix feather wand that was hidden in his pocket. The tall, slender boy walk up to the edge of the balcony next to Harry, and wrapped his slim pale fingers around the balustrade. The boys stood in silence for a few seconds. Minutes. Hours. Days. Harry couldn't tell. It was so quiet and calm that time just seemed to stop.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Harry breathed. Draco, next to him, nodded silently. "I remember," Harry continued, "when I first arrived at Hogwarts. On the boats." He nodded towards the lake. "After the Hogwarts express. And Hagrid taking me to Diagon Alley for the first time. And, when I saw Hogwarts for the first time on the black lake, it was probably one of the best days of my life." He smiled softly at the memory. Harry realised what he was saying, and who he was saying it to. He blushed slightly and they remained silent for a few more moments.

"I remember it too," mumbled Draco quietly. "My father told me that I could do better than Hogwarts. He wanted me to go to Durmstrang. He said, that if I wasn't in Slytherin, he would be disappointed. My mother was more understanding. She said that she would still love me whatever house I was in. But even though, I knew that she was relieved when I told her that I was sorted into Slytherin."

Harry was surprised at Draco's response. He expected him to snap something bitter back. But his words were anything but annoyed.
"And," he continued, "I remember when I saw you on the Hogwarts express. And you said-"
"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself thanks," Harry finished the sentence for him, laughing. He looked over at Draco and saw something he never thought he would ever see. He was laughing as well. And not a mean laugh, a genuine, happy, smiling laugh. And Draco looked good when he laughed. The face that Harry was so used to seeing being stone, ice cold, had relaxed and felt warm and friendly. His eyes glinted magically in evening light, and all the hatred and negativity that Harry felt towards the boy, started to melt away under the setting sun.
"I never really was one for meeting new people. I didn't actually have any friends until I was 11. And as soon as I first saw the place, I knew I had a family here, you know? A home. Somewhere as far away from the Dursleys as possible. They were cruel, very cruel. I know this sounds cheesy, but I didn't really know what happiness felt like until I came here," Harry said, staring at his feet. He didn't want to make eye contact with Draco, he didn't want to see his reaction.

Harry couldn't believe what was happening. He was talking about his past- with Draco Malfoy of all people! He never really liked to talk about the Dursleys at all, not even with Ron and Hermione, yet he found a sense of comfort when talking to the Slytherin.
"I was jealous of your relationship with Weasley and Granger, you know. You had proper friends. I just had Crabbe and Goyle, and I know I could never call them my friends."

Harry felt a sense of loneliness, ghostliness in Draco's voice. And for the first time in his life, he didn't feel hatred, or loathing or cruelty towards the boy at all. Harry felt pity. He didn't see a boy who repetitively mocked and teased him for years on end, but a boy who made the wrong choices. Or rather a boy who didn't have a choice.

"Well, Potter. I better be off. Things to do. People to see," Draco smirked. Just as he was about the open the balcony door to go back inside, Harry turned around too.
"Harry." He said quickly.
"What?"
"Harry. Call me Harry. Or, call me Harry, if you like."
Draco's face softened.
"Okay then. Bye, Harry."
The unfamiliar name still lingered on his tongue, uncomfortably.
"Oh, and Harry?"
"Yeah?"
"You can call me Draco, if you want."