"It's a question," I said. "Like those getting-to-know-you-better exercises. Then it's got a challenge for the recipient."

"What are you waiting for then?" Quinton asked. "Ask someone."

I instantly looked directly at Flo and she gave me a grin, waiting for the question. I cleared my throat and read, "Describe yourself in one word. Then spell it."

She thought for barely a second before she answered, "Spontaneous; s-p-o-n-t-a-n-e-o-u-s."

"Now do something that proves you're spontaneous," I finished before letting the paper naturally curl back up.

When I looked up at her, she had her usual smile; the small and adventurous curve of her lips that held a million secrets I wanted to know. The table fell silent as we waited for Flo to do something spontaneous. I didn't know why, but my stomach twisted into a knot as the anticipation swallowed me whole. Patience was something in my nature, but when it came down to her, I never wanted to waste time.

The wait didn't last very long after that, because without any type of warning, Flo got up from her seat, leaned across the table and kissed me; right there, right then, right in front of everyone at True North. It was gentle, but sweet. It was addictive.

"Spontaneous," she whispered, looking at my holy-crap-you-just-kissed-me expression and descending back into her seat.

I gulped and licked my lips.

"Crap," Quinton breathed. "I hope I get one of those questions. Hope you brushed twice, Tess, because it's your lucky day."

Tess ignored Quinton though and started fanning herself with her hand. "Is it just me or are you all suddenly incredibly flustered? I thought it was the spicy pepperoni but I'm pretty sure that kiss cranked up the heat in this place. Jesus, I need some carrot sticks to calm down."

She quickly eased her way out of the booth and headed towards the counter, making continuous glances over towards us. I suddenly had no idea how to act. Was I supposed to comment on her kissing skills? Because they were seriously awesome. Or was I supposed to keep it cool in the whole babes-kiss-me-all-the-time-no-big-deal kind of way?

I forgot how complicated kissing was.

"You're blushing."

George, who hardly ever spoke, picked up a slice of pizza and looked at me. It was a seriously bad time for him to join the conversation. There was no way in hell that I was going to let Flo know how much the kiss meant to me, even if it was a stupid café challenge.

Quinton sensed my distress, as usual, and cracked open his capsule. "I got a dollar off any cold beverage on the menu. Sweet."

"Want to shout me a glass of lemonade?" Tess asked, returning with a plastic container. "I'm thirsty. Carrot stick anyone?"

She thrust the box in Flo's direction and jiggled it around, but she shook her head. "No thank you. I don't eat carrots."

"Don't like them?" Tess asked, sitting down.

"I love them, actually."

"Oh. You're allergic aren't you?"

"Nope."

"What then?"

"Carrots have feelings."

We all fell silent. Even George stopped eating.

"Really," Flo insisted. "We all believe in different things. My beliefs just happen to be a little different from a majority of the world--"

"Hey, it's that mute kid."