Stay Pt. 2

Spencer hadn't woken up in a week. Toby was going out of his mind because of his concern. Every night he stayed in the room, holding her hand. He hated the universe.

"Toby, c'mon you need to eat," Emily said, jabbing his side.

"I'll eat later," he sighed, staring at Spencer's sleeping form. The bullet wound was healing quickly, but her body wasn't. He wondered if she wanted to wake up. Maybe she wanted to let go. She'd been through so much, he wouldn't blame him. Once her heard Emily sigh, he took Spencer's hand. "It's okay. If you want to let go. I'll understand," he kissed her hand. It felt cold, like ice. Her finger tips were blue. He remembered when she started using drugs again, when they were dating in college. Her nails were blackened, and Toby hated seeing them like that. He knew she was using those types of drugs, but he never said anything. He didn't want her to use more as a response to authority.

She ended up getting help, her roommate called him. Said she was in rehab and would be out in a few months. He wanted to be there for her when she got out, but he had Yvonne.

"I wouldn't be pissed at you. You deserve to be at peace. I love you, just know what. I feel foolish talking to a sleeping person. But I know you're in there. So if you wanna fight, fight. If you wanna let go, let go. Whichever is easier for you."

He kissed her hand, again. He felt tears slip down his cheeks as he thought of her death. Her funeral. Her ending. He didn't want to see it happen, but he knew sometimes people die. He had to accept that.

However, he wasn't expecting those blue fingers to brush his cheek, and the feeling caused his eyes to widen. Spencer moved. Her fingers moved. She moved her fingers to brush his tears. She was in there.

Toby pressed the button for the nurse, and the nurse walked in. "Yes, honey?" she asked in her sickening-sweet tone.

"She moved!" his eyes were filled with hope. The nurse bite a smile away. "She-She moved! She really did."

"Okay, I'll find a doctor to check her vital, and Hun, you should go freshen up. You don't wanna look like death when she wakes up, do you?"

Toby shook his head, and he left the room.

OoO

Spencer woke up confused. She had an IV in her arm, and her left shoulder ached. She closed her eyes, recalling the memories she last remembered. She remembered Jenna pointing a gun at her friends, but she didn't remember who shot who. There were two gunshots that went off. One was aiming at her, she assumed, and another somewhere else. Then, the second most important thing came to mind: the baby.

She felt different, and that made the obvious outcome. The child was dead, and she couldn't help but feel helpless and lost. Losing a child was the worse feeling in the world. Spencer had lost two in her life. She was beginning to think she wasn't ever going to have children.

The doctors already examined her body. They checked her vitals and everything was okay. She would feel a little out of it for a day or two, and she'd be discharged in four days.

"Spencer!" she heard and looked towards the door. Alison stood in the doorway. "You're awake. Toby isn't back yet. The nurse convinced him to shower, eat, and get some sleep."

Spencer nodded. "How is he?"

"A mess, but who'd blame him. You scared us."

Again, she nodded. "Ali, who shot me?"

"We don't know. It wasn't Jenna, but Jenna's missing."

"Missing as in gone?"

"Is there another form of missing?" Alison teased.

"The absence of a thing or person," she replied, smartly. Alison rolled her eyes. "How's Em?"

"She blames herself. As well as Hanna."

"They didn't shoot me."

"But they didn't think before they acted, as they claim."

Spencer rolled her eyes. "Well, if they are playing it that way, I decided to come with them."

"We still feel guilty?"

"We?"

"You were protecting us. Toby's right. You always get hurt because you always want to take the bullet."

"Name five times."

"Ian, Mona, Shana, Cece, Jenna."

"Shanna didn't hurt us."

"But she wanted to."

Spencer looked at her hands. "And the baby."

"I'm sorry," Alison sighed.

"I just don't get it! Why can't I ever be happy?"

"Spencer--"

"No matter what. I always am unhappy. I was happy with Toby, but I messed that up. I pushed him away because I was too busy doing drugs!"

"When?"

"After we left for college. I had to take a semester off to go to rehab."

The girls sat in silence after that. Alison and Spencer were never close friends. They mostly bickered, but somehow they stayed in touch the most after everyone left. After Spencer and Toby broke up, Alison drove up to see Spencer. They giggled and got drunk, just like times before.

The door opened, and Spencer looked over. A foolish grin formed on her face when she saw Toby. He looked like shit. His eyes were rimmed red, from crying and not sleeping. His hair was wet, from his shower. But he still looked handsome.

"Spence," he said, staring. Alison smirked, making her way out of the door. She knew they needed to be alone.

"Hi," she spoke, shyly. "Sorry I lied. I got hurt."

Toby didn't say anything. Instead, he walked over taking her hand. He kissed her head, feeling tears fall down his cheeks. Spencer felt them on her head, and the sense of worry controlled her. "I thought I lost you," he muttered. "I thought you . . . you were gone."

"But you didn't, I'm right here. Better than ever. I love you," she said, shyly.

Toby, sitting in the closest chair, kissed her. Spencer kissed him back, pulling away when she remembered all the wires. "I love you. So much."

"We can start again, once you are better and recovered. After all this shit is over with," he said, kissing her forehead.

"Why does Alison get to keep her baby and I don't. Why does she get to have something good happen to her. Why can't something happen to me?" Spencer asked. She assumed part of the reason she was so emotional was the fact she was in a coma for a week, but it still made sense. Spencer wanted a happy ending. "I get she was on the run for two years, I do. I get her husband ended up being crazy and in love with her cousin—who's my sister. I get it. I get her life is sucky. But so is mine. Why is it fair?"

"It's not," he whispered. "It's not. But once it's all over, we'll leave this stupid town and start over."

"You'd leave Rosewood?" She asked, looking up at him.

He nodded. "I lost you once because I didn't want to leave. I'm not losing you again."

"I love you."