- chapter one -

Chapter One
United States of America
Tina Goldstein

Tina shook her head. "No, thank you," she said rather impatiently to the man who was currently trying to hand her a free sample of some kind of pastry. It was late and she was tired after a long day at work, and there was nothing more important at the moment than getting home.

She walked quickly down the cobblestone streets, her shoes the only sound other than laughter in a pub a few doors down. The night was cold and the sky was starless; she had to make her way home by the light of the lamps on the sides of the road.

When she entered her apartment at last, her sister Queenie had already set a plate at her usual spot at the table. "Thank you," Tina murmured. Queenie could see that her sister was tired and most likely in no mood to talk, so she left the room with a smile and a nod.

When her sister was out of sight, Tina leaned her elbows on the table and put her head in her hands, allowing her cropped dark hair to surround her like a curtain. It wasn't that she didn't like her work, it was that she couldn't concentrate. She was too busy thinking about someone. Someone with ginger-brown hair and a constant curious expression. Someone with a charming British accent and an awkward smile.

Someone with a case full of beasts.

Tina groaned and looked down at the plate in front of her. The meal was nothing special, only French toast and a small bowl of soup, but it warmed her heart to know how much her sister truly cared about her. "Thank you, Queenie," she said again, loud enough that she could hear.

"You're welcome," came the reply from the other room. "Is it alright if I come in? Or do you want to be alone?"

Tina shook her head, fighting back tears. "No, I don't want to be alone." She squeezed her eyes closed. "I never want to be alone," she said in a quiet voice, more to herself.

Queenie entered the kitchen and sat down beside her sister, turning the chair to face her. Folding her hands under her chin, Queenie asked, "What's wrong? Bad day?"

Tina glanced down and her lap and shook her head. "No." Then she looked up, confused. "Why didn't you just read my mind to find out for yourself?"

"Because I know you don't like it."

"Oh." Tina licked her lips. "Well, I'm just...a bit..."

"Depressed?" Queenie suggested.

"Yeah, I guess. Ever since...Newt left-" it was hard for her to just say his name "-it's been really...ordinary here. Slightly boring, I suppose. I don't know."

"You need to see him again," Queenie said, stating the obvious. "Don't worry, Tina. I promise that you will. His book will get published, then he'll come to you to deliver it, and you'll run slow-motion into his arms..." Filled with visions of romance, Queenie sighed longingly.

Tina sighed. "I wish."

Her sister looked over at her, realizing that she hadn't laughed. "Tina, I'm just teasing. Come on, buck up. It ain't the end of the world." Her eyes sparkled in the candlelight.

"How do you know?" Tina said loudly, trying and failing not to raise her voice. "At least you get to see Jacob every day. At least you know he still adores you."

Queenie fell silent, knowing this was true. Every day, she would travel to Kowalski Bakery and buy something, and Jacob would always stare at her with love in his eyes. But she did understand. He didn't even recognize her. "Okay. You're right." She refused to argue with her sister. "Do you want me to leave?"

Tina nodded silently, tears rising in her eyes.

Her sister stood up and walked over to the door. "I'll go and get the mail, then. See you later."

The apartment silent, Tina began to eat. She was only halfway done when the door burst open again and Queenie came running back in. "Tina!" she squealed like a child. "You need to see this!" she said, thrusting a piece of paper at her.

Tina took it, recognizing that is was a monthly letter from the wizarding bookstore. Since she was a regular customer, they would send her lists of any new books that had come in in the past month.

The woman scanned the paper, eyes jumping over title after title, until they came to stop on one so shocking she almost leapt out of her chair.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Newt had done it.

"It's Newt's book," Tina whispered, nearly breathless.

"I know!" Queenie exclaimed, grabbing her sister's arm. "Aren't you excited? You know what this means, don't you?"

Too surprised to think clearly, Tina shook her head.

"It means Newt's coming back to give you a copy."

When the realization hit her finally, a wide smile broke out on Tina's face, spreading practically from ear to ear. "Yes! You're right!"

Queenie pulled her up out of her chair and hugged her tightly. "I'm so happy for him!"

"Me too," Tina said, goofy smile still frozen on her face. She could barely breathe, her sister was squeezing her so hard. "Now, could you let me go?" she asked, shoving her away. "I need to breathe, you know." Queenie giggled and released her sister from her death grip.

Red-faced and giddy, Tina grabbed her coat, hung it up, and headed to her bedroom. Lying on her back and staring at the ceiling, Tina laughed softly to herself. She would see Newt again. Very soon.