- prologue -

Newt Scamander took a deep breath, looking down at the papers in his hand. They were slightly crumpled around the edges from being held tightly the whole time he had made his way to the wizarding publisher, the man who would hopefully publish his new book. Newt looked up at the huge, glass-coated building in front of him and managed a small smile.

He reached out a hand and pulled the metal door open. It was cold to the touch and gave him a small shock when he touched the handle. The weather outside was cold but the building was warm, creating a comfortable atmosphere to talk business.

Approaching the desk, Newt smiled at the petite woman behind it. "I'm here to get my book published."

The clerk pulled her tortoise-shell glasses down her nose and gave him a withering look. "Yes, obviously. That's the only reason one would come here," she said in a nasal voice. Newt flicked his gaze downward and bit his bottom lip. "Name?" the woman drawled.

"Oh, me? Newton Scamander." He watched as she looked through her files until she found a paper with his name on it. "You're free to go," the clerk said, putting a little stamp on the paper. "Third floor, room five-a."

"Thank you," Newt said quickly, picking up his heavy case and rearranging the papers in his hand. He walked up the stairs, avoiding eye contact with others who came down them, some looking defeated and others ecstatic.

When he reached a dimly lit hallway, the man scanned the whitewashed doors for room 5a. When he found it, he knocked on the door softly, not wanting to disturb anyone else. "Newton Scamander?" asked a voice inside.

"Yes, sir," Newt said.

"You may enter," the man told him. Newt took another shaky breath and pushed the door open.

There were two big bay windows on the far wall, the red curtains pushed to the side to reveal a bright blue early-morning sky. There were three grey chairs pushed up against a cream-coloured wall in the corner, and a desk on the other side. Behind it sat a middle-aged man with receding brown hair, wearing round glasses and a crisp suit. "Please, have a seat," the publisher said, moving papers out of the way.

Newt sat in the chair across from him, setting his wrinkled papers on the desk. The publisher picked them up and scanned them. "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, eh?"

"Yes, sir." Newt set his case down beside him.

The man snapped his fingers and a quill flew into his hand. He made a few notes on a fresh piece of parchment. "And could you remind me what this book's purpose is?" he asked, even though it was most likely written down on one of the other papers in front of him.

"Oh, it's, um, to educate young wizards and witches - well, really all magical folk...about the importance of magical creatures."

The man across from him gave him a long, uncomfortable look, and Newt fidgited in his seat. Then, the man smiled. "Excellent." He read a few more notes and then picked up the manuscript. "Mister Scamander, this sounds like a wonderful idea to me. I will have our editors look over your work, but you have yourself a deal." He held out his hand.

A smile broke out over Newt's face. "Thank you ever so kindly, sir," he said. His book would really be published.

"I look forward to seeing the finished product," the publisher said with a raise of his eyebrows. "You may go for now, Mister Scamander. We will keep you updated on the progress of your book."

Newt pushed the chair back, grabbed his case, and walked out of the room with a grin. "We did it, Pickett," he whispered to the little green Bowtruckle sticking his head out of Newt's pocket. Pickett squeaked with apparent glee. "We really did it."