Chapter Twenty

Over the next week I got more and more depressed. I barely talked to anyone besides my teachers. I ate extremely little, and I stayed up late at night debating life instead of sleeping. One morning I decided to actually go to breakfast instead of sleeping in. When l got there, many gryffindors were buzzing to see me. "Good morning." Hermione greeted. I looked at her. "No it's not." I replied flatly. The trio exchanged a glance. "Um, Emma? Are you okay? You haven't been acting like yourself." Harry worried. "I'm fine." I answered carelessly. "So you completely messed up and the opposite of fine?" Ron asked rudely. I shot him a glare. I opened a book and started reading. Ron pushed a plate of bacon to me. "Want some?" He asked, mouth full of egg. I winced. "No, I'm fine." I replied, pushing it back to him. Harry eyed me. "When was the last time you ate something?" He asked. "Well it was-, um when I-, it-" I thought for a minute and looked down when I realized. "Um-" I cleared my throat. "A little while ago." Hermione raised an eyebrow and shared a look with Harry. I sighed and stood up, but Harry caught my arm. I looked at him, unsmiling. "Please let go of me, Harry." I said flatly. "Not until you tell me what's wrong." He replied, also standing up. "Let go of me." I said again, raising my voice. "No," he said more forcefully. "You look horrible and you haven't spoken to us or come to class in at least a week." I glared at him and tried to twist my arm out of his grip. He then proceeded to twist my arm behind my back and ask again, "What's wrong?" I remained silent, trying to think of how to get out of this. Suddenly Malfoy strutted over and put his arm around me. Harry was so surprised he dropped my arm. Malfoy pulled me into him closer and guided me out of the great hall. "What was that?" He asked forcefully. I tensed up by instinct. "They asked me when I had last eaten." I said. Malfoy looked at me. "Okay? And?" I bit my lip and looked away. "And I couldn't remember." I said. "Oh." He replied. I nodded, staring at the ground. "Look— I know your really stressed and scared and just not in a good place right now, but you need to still go to class. You have to eat, even if you aren't hungry and you need to talk once in a while," he said. I tried to look away, but he caught my chin and forced me to look him in the eye. "Things will get better. I promise." I nodded as a few tears spilled out, but wiped them away quickly. "Now, I have to go to class, okay? And, Emma, at least come to DADA, alright?" He asked, beginning down the hall. I nodded and turned away, heading for Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. But I must now have been paying attention, because I soon bumped into someone. "I'm so sorry!" I said quickly. She smiled. "It's fine. I'm... TO BE CONTINUED MWAHAHAHAHA (just to be a meanie poo)